Chapter One

It hurt Vegas to see his husband like that. Lying in a hospital bed, hooked up to so many machines.

His partner once full of life and laughter had become a mere shell of himself. Vegas moved a few strands of hair from Pete's forehead making sure the oxygen tube was placed right.

Although Pete was sleeping the younger didn't look like he was at peace. Drawing hearts and circles on the back of Pete's hand, Vegas placed a kiss on the same spot. Just like how Pete would always do it.

His tears formed a glob under his chin dropping on the hospital sheets leaving a small circle of darker blue. Ducking his head Vegas chewed on his bottom lip to try and muffle his sobs.

God, it hurt so bad. Why couldn't it be me instead?

Pete was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer five months ago. By the time the doctors caught it, it had been too late for chemotherapy. The cancer had travelled from one lung to both, before hitting his liver.

There was nothing Vegas could do. He had to watch his husband disappear more and more every single day. Pete's doctor had already told Vegas to start preparing. There was no way to predict when his husband's body would stop fighting.

Wiping his tears Vegas looked at the heart monitor that was beating painfully slow. But it was better than nothing. His gaze travelled to Pete.

Even after everything, Pete was still the most beautiful person Vegas has laid his eyes on.

As the sun took its place up in the sky, Vegas tried to hide evidence of his breakdown. He promised himself that he would not let Pete see him cry. It wouldn't help the younger one bit.

The fingers in his hand started twitching and Vegas watched with an aching heart as Pete struggled to open his eyes.

"Good morning." The ravenette whispered earning himself a weak smile. He bent down to place a gentle kiss on the top of his lovers head before getting up and opening the blinds.

He snaked his arms around the younger's waist, gently helping him up. "Vegas." Said male hummed placing a kiss on Pete's forehead once the younger was settled. "I'm hungry."

"I'll go get something. Do you want anything in particular?" Pete thought about it before his eyes lit up. "Something sweet please." Vegas cooed petting Pete's head as if he was a kid.

"I'll be quick. Wash up in the meantime." Pete nodded enthusiastically and Vegas walked out of the hospital room.

He had grown to memorize the building and knew all the nurses from how long Pete had been staying there.

Making his way to a vending machine, Vegas pressed a few buttons before a croissant dropped down.

"Mister, can you get me that please?" Vegas was startled by the voice next to him. It was a little girl, looking up at him with her big green eyes. "Which one?"

She pointed to the juice box. "Tell me your room number and I can have my brother pay you back." Vegas grinned paying for the drink. "That's not necessary." She smiled largely sitting down on the plastic chair.

Vegas was amused seeing her pat the space next to her. "Can you keep me company for a few minutes please?"

"Okay. But only a few minutes. I have to go." She nodded grabbing the juice from Vegas. "What's your name mister?"

"Vegas. And yours?"

"My name is Majo." The male nodded. "Why are you here, Mr. Vegas?"

The older hesitated wondering if he should tell a child he met two minutes ago about his husband's condition. But seeing the kids scrubs on her and a wristband peeking out, the words kind of spilled out.

"My husband has lung cancer. He's been hospitalized for a few months now." She frowned moving the straw to the other side of her lip. "And you?"

"My kidneys are failing." Vegas' eyes widened and she smiled like they were talking about the weather.

Just when Vegas was about to leave, Majo spoke up. "Don't you wish that you could help your husband live?"

"More than anything in the world."

"What if I told you, you could." Vegas half-laughed half-scoffed. "Then I'd say you've read too many Disney stories, kid."

He looked into her eyes, goosebumps raising on his arms. What used to be solid green eyes were now flickering to silver and black. But they went back to their original color and Majo smiled innocently.

"I guess so. See you around Mr. Vegas." She left.

Vegas stayed there for almost ten seconds wondering if all the sleepless nights had led him to hallucinate. With a gentle shake of his head Vegas got up taking his husband's breakfast with him.

"What took you so long?" Pete pouted cutely and Vegas forgot his worries. "Sorry, love. I met a kid near the vending machine who wanted to talk."

Pete smiled grabbing the sweet pastry from his husband. "What'd they say?"

"Nothing. Just wanted some juice."

The brunette nodded slowly eating his breakfast while his husband's gaze didn't falter.

Majo's question echoed in his mind.

Don't you wish that you could help your husband live?

★★★

Hello my little babies!! I am BACK! How excited are you 😇
I'm bouncing off the walls