chapter thirteen

"I'll see you after class," Tie smiles at him, with Powder waving back. As the athlete goes to prepare for a tournament. Powder's hand was still in the air and it slowly descends in disappointment because Tie isn't here to annoy him anymore.

As Powder gets inside his classroom, it is all too quiet except for the teacher inside, smiling knowingly at him.

"Someone's hesitant," the teacher says.

Powder nervously laughs, "I don't know what you mean, Cypher."

"You're falling in love," Cypher says, not too happy. The teacher's look of disapproval is not new, but this comes from an Angel. "That will make you think twice about the plan, Powder."

"I'm not," he replies, "But I'm trying to make Tie fall hard enough to let go of me."

Cypher stares hard at him, "But will you let go of him?"

Powder is taken back, "I thought we'll just be exorcising the devil out of him?"

"And if he doesn't make it? Will you choose him over justice for them?" He points to the class where Powder sees all his dead schoolmates seated, their souls making him fall off his chair and stare horrified. Maddy? Lucas... "They're just following me, Powder. They have nowhere to go. As I watch you fall for Valentine, they're losing hope."

Powder shakes his head while staring at Maddy. "Guys... Madeline... I'm so sorry. I didn't want anything to happen to you. It's..."

"They can't hear the living," Cypher says, "But we have to go through this, Powder. It's to stop more from being stuck here."

Powder reaches out to Maddy's pale and lifeless spirit, but he goes through her beautiful face. He sadly nods in agreement, but deep inside he is still very hesitant. Cypher knows this, and he decides to be less harsh to the boy. "I was in love too, once."

"In love?" Powder scoffs, "I don't love Tie. He's just a friend I don't want to lose..."

Cypher gives him a look, so Powder changed the subject. "Cypher... could an Angel even love? Or a Reaper... whatever you are."

"We go by many names," Cypher smiles at the memory, "We have many jobs, mostly to guide the dead. When we are neglectful of our job, the souls get lost. Sometimes, unfinished business keep us from guiding them. Lost ones wander as spirits or ghosts."

"And how did you fall in love?" Powder asks.

"I was once a human, just like any other angel that guides the dead." Cypher's eyes dropped down. Powder is shocked that the angels were once human, too. "I have forgotten how it feels to be a human... but I cannot forget what I did for love. I was punished by what I did... sentenced to be immortal and live without that person forever."

"Cypher..." Powder wants to comfort him with a hand to the shoulder, but it went through him.

"It was 500 years ago... I sold my soul to the devil to bring back the person I loved. The same devil inside Valentine... that's why I made sure I'll be the one to help you. I have unfinished business with that devil."

"You sold your soul?"

Cypher nods, "They came back, but it wasn't the same."

"Kolya! Are you... are you eating—no, no why?! WHY?!"

"The angel who guided my love to the afterlife said that's no longer Kolya... and that Kolya has passed on. A demon occupied the soulless body." Cypher seemed so hurt at the memory, his image as Powder's teacher started glitching. "The Angel helped me get rid of the demon by giving me her wings. But... I looked into Kolya's eyes and was unable to do so. I love Kolya too much. I hesitated, and chose to endanger the world.