Chapter 1 Traitor

I, Queen Verity the Faithful, had been attending the School of the Arts in Tashbaan. I sort of enjoyed it. No one knew I was a Queen. Not even Madame Cebba our teacher.
But I had a little secret: a few months back, I had sent a book I'd written to a publisher. So, during that time, I had barely been able to keep up with my studies. However, that wasn't the only thing I did.
A fellow like 7 years older than I had shown an interest in me, but He, Tarkaan Birsha, seemed to know too much about me. I came down to the idea he was a spy.
One day I found him in the streets and followed him. He didn't notice.
He walked down an alley. It was dirty and filthy, I had to hold the skirt of my dress up from getting it muddy. I can
imagine Madame Cebba would be too pleased if I came back dirty.
"Tarkaan Birsha, there you are," I hid behind a cart.
A man walked up to him, Lord Alaric! Head of Calormene's navy.
"She won't tell me anything," Birsha sighed, "Nothing."
"High King Peter has trained his sister well," muttered Lord Alaric, "But we know about their upcoming venture, sailing. Exploring their territories."
I gasped, so he was a spy. I clenched my fists.
"What does that mean?" Asked Birsha.
"The kings and queens won't be there to defend their land, easy come easy go. With Narnia ours, Archenland will buy more resources from us. Ever since I heard of their future navy, I have a feeling, Archenland will get everything from them. And the Tisroc will get even more angry with me. Who said I can't captain the Black Eagle? If this happens, I'll lose my position, and Captain Coral will take over. The Tisroc will do anything to get rid of me." He explained.
"Why don't you just get rid of him?" Birsha suggested, "The Tisroc probably won't listen."
I held my breath.
"Great plan, Birsha; why didn't I think of that sooner? And if your friend, Queen Verity, finds out, she tells her siblings. To death with all of them," Alaric threatened.
I decided to leave; maybe I should warn my siblings, but no, if I did, it would mean death. Peter was friends with Captain Coral.
I hurried back to the school, and Madame Cebba met me, "You're late."
"Sorry, Madame, I just taking a walk," I excused myself.
"You are aware that today is a dinner party at Tarkaan Laurent's," she told me.
"Yes, Madame," I nodded.
"Well, don't wear that dress, change!" Madame answered annoyed.
I obeyed, putting on a blue ball gown. I hated those dresses. It seemed all this school was about was parties and behaving socially, maybe that's why Susan wanted to send me here. Peter had a different reason. If he knew about this, he'd pull me out. He is a bit too overprotective, as an older brother.
"Verity!" I was standing alone awkwardly at the party amid the dancing when Birsha came up to me.
"Tarkaan Birsha," I tried to give him a give a big smile, "It's a pleasure to see you."
"The pleasure is all mine, milady," he grinned, kissing my hand, "Would you care to dance?"
I cringed, but I nodded.
"So I heard the news," commented Birsha, as we lined up with the other dancers.
"What news?" I asked.
"You don't know," he chuckled.
"What?" I asked.
"I'll tell you later, milady," he answered.
The party was like it usually was. Dancing and stuffing oneself full of food.
"And now a toast to Tash the inexorable!" Announced Tarkaan Laurent, later in the evening. I placed my glass down. I couldn't. I had never done it. That was the evil of the city. It was worshipping a God other than our own. Other than the one true God in our world. Aslan in Narnia.
"Do you care for any wine?" Birsha asked me.
"No," I pushed the glass away.
Birsha walked me back to the school, "Now the news you've been waiting for." He handed me a book.
I looked at the cover; I couldn't believe my eyes: In Peril of Winter by Lady Josephine Major. My name! Although I was a queen.
"They published it!" I exclaimed."Where did you get it?"
"My dear," he laughed, "Your book is everywhere. You seem to have an interest in Narnia, that strange country up North."
"Yes, I do," I nodded.
"Farewell, milady," he kissed my hand.
As soon as he was out of sight, I clapped my hands and gave a loud shout, "Hurray!"
But then I was reminded of the earlier events of that day. I couldn't trust Birsha, but now he could read my book. He'd find out more about us. Did my book do more harm than good?