Mistaken Glance

"Okay, but I'm driving."

"Nope, I'm going to get my permit the moment I turn 15, and then my license as soon as I turn 16. So I'll get to drive you around."

Ciara bumped Rae's shoulder, a pout plastered to her face.

"Oh don't be sour, I might let you drive some times."

Rae laughed. She and Ciara were on their way to the park just outside Rae's neighborhood. They were planning the trips their quartet would go on once they were old enough.

Ciara hiked the bag holding their towels higher onto her shoulder, the girls still arguing about the driving arrangements.

"Enough about that, what type of car do you want?" 

"I want a jeep, like not the brand, but the type of car,"

Rae glanced over as she talked, slightly nodding her head to the right.

"That's Chance's house," she explained when Ciara looked at her confusedly. Ciara nodded in understanding, starting to talk about the car she wanted.

"Yeah, a jeep would be cool, I'm not quite sure what car I would want. Maybe a Range Rover?"

The duo turned the corner, walking along the side of their classmates house, where conversation could be heard. Rae perked up, looking over at into backyard through the fence.

"Hey there ladies!"

Rae smiled, a group of men, most likely fathers were sitting at the table, one of them greeting the girls.

"Hello!"

Rae scanned the backyard, not looking for anything in particular when she was met with another pair of blue eyes. 

It was Chance.

He was looking at her.

And he was only wearing swim trunks.

They both quickly diverted their eyes, Rae turning back to continue her conversation with Ciara, willing herself to keep it together until they got out of view.

As soon as they got to the gate leading out of the neighborhood, they burst into a jumble of laughter, neither sure if it was from embarrassment, or nervousness, but surely not humor. Well, maybe a bit. 

Both Rae and Ciara started talking at the same time, pausing suddenly then laughing again as they stumbled through the gate onto the path. 

"Okay," Rae gasped between labored breaths. "So that was unexpected."