Chapter 1

In the fair city of Verona, there lived two feuding families. The Capulets and Montauges.

My name is Rosaline Capulet. My existence to everyone was an unnoticeable shadow. In my life of rules and restrictions, I never imagined I'd find true love. 

That is, until I met Romeo Montauge, the son of my family's enemy. The very thorn upon the eyes of the Capulets, the exact representation of what a Montauge was made of.

I knew the moment I laid my eyes on him, his beautiful brown hair and honey eyes, that this was true love. And I saw in his eyes that he felt the same way.

No one else had ever looked at me that way before.

Could I take the risk? I had thought.

I took it all the way.

We had a secret, passionate romance away from the eyes of our families. Even when apart, I couldn't stop thinking about him.

Not long after, he proposed to me. On a boat, just the two of us. I had been the happiest I had ever been. And of course I said yes.

"Yes... yes... yes!" Was the only word my lips knew how to utter at the time.

I hoped we would soon marry. But then just as quickly as his affections came, they also seemed to vanish in a blink of an eye. 

Was he having doubts because I was a Capulet?

 Romeo had suddenly gone cold. I would have preferred the unrelenting winter over his disinterested stare.

It was as if...

He was distracted by something else.

But I did not doubt him.

I did not want to.

But there were moments, of course... there were moments I couldn't help but wonder in secret. What distracted his mind?

I had little time to worry about that, however.

Only a few days later, tragedy struck the Capulets. My cousin Juliet, who was to be married to a count, was suddenly found dead. As if the death of my kinswoman wasn't enough, hours later there was news that Romeo from House Montauge had suddenly died as well.

No one could figure out the cause of these deaths, or if it was a coincidence.

The priests said it was an act of God, punishment for the feud between the Montauges and Capulets. A divine warning to those who wreaked havoc and disturbed the peace of Verona. 

I do not know why God would take both my kinswoman and my lover on the same day.

If it were possible to die from grief, I would've died too.

Funerals were held seperately by the Capulets and Montagues. The families both called a truce and put their feud on hold, scared to reignite God's wrath.

Fortune can be cruel.

And yet... fortune can be giving. 

Months later I had discovered Romeo had left me one last gift. For the second time, he brought happiness into my life.

Romeo may now be gone from this world, but my son and I will always keep him warmly in our hearts. I will do what it takes to give our son a good life.

At the night of the funerals

Romeo stealthily walks into the tomb of Juliet Capulet. He opens the casket slowly.

"Juliet?" He asks.

Juliet bursts out to warmly hug Romeo. "The sleeping potion worked!" She exclaims excitedly.

"Everyone believes that we're dead." He whispers to Juliet, pressing their heads together.

"Thank goodness you're not," she responds.

"Let's leave all of this and never return." he holds his hand out to her, smile mischieviously twinkling in the night.

"Yes!" She takes his hand and they run out into the darkness.

The months pass into winter, and here I am, reading this letter. My hands tremble with rage, and I throw it into the fire.

Fin.