18.

I fuck around with some chords on my new guitar as Colby hums different melodies.

I stop him, "Wait, wait, how about this?" I play him what came to my head, and something changes in his eyes. He rocks forward with excitement, practically jumping out of his skin.

"That's it!" He beams, looking down at the opened pages of his notebook, "Cuz I can't forgive myself, if I'm just a servant to my pain. Fake face..." He lunges forward and captures me in a hug.

"Colby!" I scream, quickly using a free hand to catch his weight, "You're gonna break the fucking guitar!" I can't help but laugh.

"I'll buy you a new one." He rushes before pushing it away, closing the barrier between us as I fall onto my back.

Before he leans down to kiss me, we hear the front door downstairs shut, "Shit." I whisper, pushing him off and sitting up to listen.

"Brother?" Colby calls out, his voice echoing.

"Yeah?" Sam calls back before we hear his footsteps hit the stairs.

With haste, I slide off the bed and duck down on the side opposite from Colby's bedroom door. It takes only seconds for Sam to tap on it quietly before letting himself in.

"How was the gym?" Colby asks nonchalantly. I stay as still as possible, even attempting to hold my breath.

"It was fine. Since when do you play guitar?" Sam questions at the instrument still on the bed.

"I don't know man, I'm losing my mind with the silence so I figured why not learn?" Colby makes up on the spot, seemingly convincing.

"Cool! Well, hate to rush, but I got to grab a shower. I have a date tonight."

My ears perk at this, and a wave of heat rushes to my stomach.

Colby clears his throat, "You and Kat?"

"Uh, well, no.. I'll give you the details if it goes well. Don't want to jinx anything y'know." Sam says nervously. I swallow the lump in my throat.

"Right. Well.. good luck." If I can tell Colby's uncomfortable, so can Sam. But he leaves the room anyway.

As soon as we hear him leave the apartment to head back to his, I straighten myself up. Colby exchanges an anxious look with me, "You're telling Kat, aren't you?"

"No shit." I sulk, reaching for my phone on his nightstand. He grabs my wrist and pulls me close to him, catching me off guard with the soft look in his eyes.

"Y/N.. promise me something?" He says in a hushed voice, scanning my face affectionately.

I hum in response, waiting for him to go on, "Don't break this one's nose too." He cracks a smile, and I lean into his neck to suppress my own laughter.

As I pull away, I kiss his cheek, "I have to deal with this right now. She was there for me."

"So was Sam.." He reminds me, causing me to pause. He's right. If I tell her, I betray Sam. If I don't, I betray Kat.

God fucking damnit.