Chap 22: Debrief

Buffy's lunch period was almost over, and Marty still hadn't shown up for their talk. One minute before the bell would ring. She'd been standing alone at her locker for the entire 35 minute block. Buffy forced back tears as she waited for the bell, which she had decided would signal the end of her relationship with Marty. She stared into her locker, hoping no one would notice how close she was to crying. She checked her watch. Almost. She checked her watch again.

Someone tapped her on the shoulder.

"Hey Buff," Dylan said.

The bell rang.

Buffy spun around, already sobbing, and buried her face in Dylan's chest. His surprise was obvious, but he didn't move away. Dylan gently wrapped his hands around her.

The hallway soon flooded with people. Buffy and Dylan received more than a few strange looks, but no one approached them.

Once the hallway had cleared, Dylan let go of his friend and stepped back.

"Buffy, what happened?"

Buffy used the sleeve of her sweatshirt to dry her face. She was still shaking a little, but she had definitely calmed down from before.

"It's Marty," she said quietly. "I think we're done."

"Oh." He ran his fingers through his hair, unsure how to respond. "I thought you two were doing pretty well."

"I thought so too," Buffy said, "but Marty is friends with Benjamin. Kind of. Really Marty's friends are friends with Benjamin."

"So?"

"He's afraid to be seen with me because his friends are all close with Benjamin."

"Wait. Benjamin is friends with people who are friends with Marty, who is dating you, who is friends with Luke...that's the problem?"

"Yeah."

"Buffy, that's crazy. I can't even explain how out of line he is by thinking that's a problem worthy of affecting your relationship."

Buffy didn't respond.

"Do I need to talk to him?"

"I'll handle it. Thanks, Dylan. I was going to call him out during our lunch period, but he couldn't even bother to show up, so I think...I think I have to break up with him."

"I'm sorry, Buffy. Do you want me to be there when you tell him?"

She shook her head. "No, I should do this alone. I'll talk to him after school ends."

"If you need anything, tell me. I have your back."

She smiled at him. "Thanks, Dyl."

Just then, Benjamin walked by, apparently late for his fifth period class. He shot Dylan a dirty look before continuing down the hallway.

Buffy blinked. "Okayy, we don't talk for 24 hours, and suddenly you have enemies?"

"I've always had enemies," Dylan said nonchalantly.

"Yeah, but since when is Luke's boyfriend one of them?"

"Ex boyfriend."

"Right, duh, sorry. I just– Benjamin hasn't even glanced in my direction since the breakup, so I thought something else might have happened for you to be catching dirty looks like that. And on that topic, what happened between Luke and Benjamin?! I literally heard about their breakup when Marty asked me for space. Luke still hasn't talked to me about it. Actually, he hasn't talked to me at all recently.

Dylan shrugged. "Luke didn't exactly give me the details. But everyone found out about Ben and Luke dating on Monday, and then Tuesday night is when Luke kissed–" Dylan stopped himself and groaned. "Half this shit I can't even tell you."