III

Liam Payne

London, UK -10:42 - 05.28.2023

The sharp sound of Clara's voice cut through the haze of Liam's sleep, jolting him awake with a start. Blinking groggily, he struggled to orient himself, the remnants of last night's party still lingering in his mind like a fog.

"Where have you been?" Clara's voice was sharp with accusation, her eyes blazing with anger as she glared at him from across the room.

Liam took a moment to collect his thoughts, the weight of her words sinking in like a heavy stone in the pit of his stomach. "Just... at a party," he mumbled, his voice thick with sleep.

But Clara wasn't satisfied with his vague response, her suspicion palpable in the air between them. "A party?" she repeated, her voice tinged with disbelief. "Don't lie to me, Liam. I know something's going on."

Liam felt a surge of frustration rise within him, his exhaustion and confusion making it difficult to process Clara's accusations. "I'm not lying," he insisted, his tone defensive. "I was just out with some friends, that's all."

There was a clear tension in the room as Clara's words hung heavy in the air, her voice trembling with emotion as she pleaded with Liam to reconsider his reckless behavior.

"I don't want you to go out anymore, Liam," Clara said firmly, her eyes blazing with determination. "I'm scared that your addiction will only grow bigger if you keep living this way."

Liam's jaw clenched with frustration, his own anger simmering just beneath the surface as he struggled to contain his emotions. "And what about you, Clara?" he shot back, his tone accusatory. "You go out every day, just like I used to. Don't act like you're any better than me."

Clara's expression hardened, her facade slipping for a moment to reveal the turmoil brewing beneath the surface. "That's different," she insisted, her voice tinged with defensiveness. "I can handle it. But you, Liam... you're spiraling out of control."

But Liam refused to back down, his own frustration boiling over as he confronted Clara with her hypocrisy. "You're not fooling anyone, Clara," he spat, his words laced with bitterness. "You're just as addicted as I am, you just hide it better."

As their argument escalated, the air crackled with tension, the weight of their shared struggles hanging heavy between them. Liam couldn't help but feel a pang of regret for the choices they had made, for the path they had chosen to walk together.

He remembered the night he had first met Clara, five years ago in Las Vegas. They had been drawn to each other like moths to a flame, both lost in the chaos of the night scene, drowning their sorrows in drugs and alcohol until they couldn't even stand straight.

His mother, Karen, had been the first to confront him about his destructive lifestyle, her words a painful reminder of the reality he had been trying to escape. And it was his father, Geoff, who had made the difficult decision to admit him to rehab for the first time, a decision that had saved his life in more ways than one.

As Liam sat in his bedroom, the weight of his decision hanging heavy on his mind, he couldn't shake the nagging feeling that he was doing the right thing. It had been a few weeks since he had come to a sobering conclusion—one that he knew would change the course of his life, and possibly his relationship with Clara, forever.

The realization had hit him like a ton of bricks: if they continued to tour together, he and Clara might never be able to break free from the cycle of addiction that had consumed them both. It wasn't just about him anymore—it was about his family, his friends, his fans, and most importantly, his bandmates. Liam knew he needed to end his addiction not only for himself but for all those who relied on him.