Chapter Three: Droch

"Never attempt to win by force what can be won by deception." - Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince.

Esel wasn't initially prepared for the mission she would be sent on. She had heard the stories of the others sent in to track this artifact down. It had an almost mythical status surrounding it. Some claimed it held the secrets of the universe; others said it would give the user powers beyond imagination. But those stories always seemed overblown. Being a Salarian, she never understood the other specie's obsession with making up superstitious stories. It was a massive waste of time and energy. She was efficient.

The Shadow broker was an easy enough employer, always good on his or her word. He paid very well for Esel's secrecy and the jobs he would send her way. She was a tracker and a damned good one. Her combat and tech skills made her a valuable asset to him. Esel guessed that's why he chose her for this. Although she didn't like the idea of going to Omega, in reality, no one does. She at least thought that even if this turned into a wild goose chase, she could at least get some kind of payout. The information given to her was sparse, to say the least.

Esel gathered herself as the transport docked with Omega. All the weapons besides her sidearm were in the bag she brought with her. Esel's slender combat armor had black with yellow highlights, switched on as she headed for the airlock. She would need her suit's kinetic barriers here; this wasn't a safe world for anyone, not even those who called Omega home. She exited the airlock, exposing herself to the station's harsh, rocky, sulfury smell. She almost had forgotten how the air here irritated her. Esel cleared her throat and moved through the terminal until she reached outside and saw the red artificial sunlight piercing between the structures around her. Few of the inhabitants paid her any mind as she walked through. She gripped her bag tightly as she bumped past the crowd, trying to find the exit.

Esel headed away from the terminal to a skycar depot; what awaited before her was her Batarian contact, Bekar. She had worked with him before; he was different from most Batarians. He was pragmatic and a bit of a joker. Laid-back and easygoing. But she still kept an eye on him regardless.

"About time you showed up; I thought I would be sitting here for eternity." The gravely Batarian leaning against the wall. He wore plain civilian clothing with no sign of armor or kinetic barriers, which she found strange.  He pushed himself off the wall and signaled to her to get into a skycar behind him. Esel opened the door, threw the bag into the back of the car, and got into her seat. Bekar got in after her, took the controls, and started the vehicle. 

The car hummed through the city, and the artificial red sunlight wrapped around the station bled through between the structures, almost blinding her sometimes. She could see Omega around her, all of it in its shitty glory.

"Did you get the full brief yet?" Bekar asked while messing around the controls.

"That depends on what you consider "full" means." Esel retorted. Bekar let out a small chuckle and a smile. "Yeah, getting a lot of that these days."

Esel paused for a moment, remembering the briefing she had received before she left the Citadel. Salarians rarely forgot anything. Their minds were near photographic. Some were said to be able to relive their entire lives, hour by hour, minute by minute, before they died, giving themselves almost a second lifetime to make up for their short existence.

"What's the briefing they gave you?" She asked. Bekar kept his smile and adjusted himself in his seat.

"We're looking for a Quarian, going by the name of Rinn." She is supposed to know where this thing is, or has it. But every time I've gotten close to her, something happens."