EIGHT

CALEB

I walked down the cobbled streets towards the town centre, where Ava and I agreed that we would meet. Meeting her was becoming a weekly thing; anytime I wasn't working, I was seeing her. I arrived outside her coffee shop and saw her walking towards the door; she had just finished work. I gave myself a mental pat on the back for my great timing.

She opened the door to the café and smiled when she saw me; her cheeks flushed pink and her eyes crinkled. "Caleb, perfect timing." Everything felt a bit more raw in the last few weeks.

"What can I say?" I shrugged my shoulders playfully. I took in her slightly dishevelled appearance. Her hair was a bit messy, probably from work. She had a slight smell of coffee mixed with her usual floral scent. We walked side by side. I smiled down at the small girl next to me, whose presence had become all too familiar to me.

My heart starts to race. I look between our hands, which are almost touching. I feel heat rising up my neck and crawling over my cheeks. Fuck it. I gently grabbed her hand and locked my fingers with hers. I felt her tense and then relaxed. I glanced down at her and saw a small blush creeping over her cheeks. Her hand felt so small and soft in my own large and rough ones.

We arrived at a quaint restaurant that was nestled by the river in the town center. We went in and sat down. The restaurant was small but filled with life. The lights were dimmed, and the chatter was calm. Glasses clinked, and the sound of forks hitting plates filled the air.

We sat down. I looked at her as she began to speak. "This is cute," she said as she looked around. A small smile painted her lips.

I nodded. "What do you want to drink?" I said, skimming my eyes over the menu and then looking back up at her.

"Probably just a red wine," she said, looking up and smiling.

~~~~

After dinner, we walked along the river. Moonlight shone on the river. The softly trickling water's sound filled the air. We walked hand in hand, enjoying each other's company.

Ava walked towards the edge of the river and stood looking out, letting go of my hand.

"I'm glad I moved," she said, a small smile pulling at the edge of her lips. I snuck my arm around her waist.

"I'm glad you did too," I said. I looked down at her, and she looked up at me. She leaned her body into mine. Her gaze was warm, and she bit her lip. It nearly sent me over the edge.

"Caleb," she whispered. Her voice was barely audible. The gentle river almost drowned it out.

"Yeah?" I replied, my voice low and husky.

Her eyes searched mine. I leaned in closer to her. My heart pounded. The wind blew her hair a bit, and her lips parted. I moved closer to her, closing the gap between us. The moment seemed to stretch forever.

Finally, our lips met in a gentle and sweet kiss. I placed my hands on her waist, feeling the warmth of her touch as she rested her hands on my shoulders. Our lips moved together in sync. The kiss deepened slightly. I felt the growing closeness between us. It made the moment more special.

As she moved back, her breathing quickened, her lips were puffy, and her eyes fluttered open softly. I gently touched her cheek and ran my thumb along her jawline.

In that moment, all my doubts vanished. The girl standing before me was starting to hold a significant place in my heart and my everyday life.

I pulled Ava into my side and wrapped an arm firmly around her.

"Ava," I said, looking down at the girl in my arms, and she looked up at me.

"Caleb," she replied, smiling gently.

The words caught in my throat, and my cheeks started to feel hot. "You are important to me," I decided to say.

Her blush deepened. "And you, me," she nestled her face into my chest and huffed. I could feel her embarrassment, and I laughed gently.

"Don't get all shy on me now, love." I ran my fingers through her messy hair.

"Ouch!" she yelled as I did. "My hair is knotty." She giggled and looked up at me.

"Sorry," I said sheepishly as I removed my fingers from her tangled hair.

She hummed and drew circles on my back with her fingers. I rested my chin on her head. My face started to heat up as I felt her hands on my back. Electricity spread through me. Everything felt natural with her. My stomach was flipping, and my heart raced under her touch.

"Sounds like you've run a marathon," Ava said, lifting her head from my chest and smiling up at me.

"Oh, does it?" I said, trying my hardest to sound chilled out but failing miserably.

She hummed and took my hand into hers. "It's late; I should probably go home," she said, looking up at me.

"Let me walk you?" I ask her, but it's not a question. I was going to walk her, regardless of her answer. Serenity Falls isn't dangerous, but I wasn't going to let her walk all the way home alone.

She nodded but said, "You don't have too, Caleb." The way she says my name makes my knees almost buckle. I feel my stomach flip and heat rise to my cheeks.

"But I will, and I am," I said to her, rubbing my thumb over the back of her hand and beginning to walk towards her house.

We walked in silence to her house. I stole the occasional glance at her. Her cheeks were rosy, and her eyes were glossy. This woman beside me was truly starting to steal my heart, and there is nothing I can do about it.

Once we arrived at her house, she turned to look at me. "Thank you for today; it has been lovely," she said. She leans up and plants a soft, lingering kiss on my lips. My breath hitches in my throat. Once again, I am at a loss for words.

"It has been lovely; we should do it again sometime, huh?" I say this playfully, pulling her into my chest and kissing her gently on her temple.

She turns around, and I watch her walk into her house, offer me a soft smile, and shut the door.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. My stomach was in knots, and my head was spinning. I turned and began walking home. A smile crept onto my face as I did.

Authors note:

Screaming, crying and throwing up at this chapter. Enough said. 

Hope you all enjoyed!

- Serenjtyx