The Beginning.

In the quiet city of Alder, a young boy dreams.

Of valiantly riding his steed into battle, swinging the Legendary sword with one hand, slaying monsters and men. Deciding the fate of thousands with a word.

Then, the boy returns to reality.

'It seems he's back.', the boy thought to himself. He quickly leapt off the dirty road he had been lying on and scampered into a dilapidated house.

A group of children is congregating inside, where a man in a cloak is waiting.

"Week's worth, now. Come forward starting from Rose District to the Inner Wall", he declared.

Everyone began coming forward in the given order.

One child did not meet the minimum quota.

"NO! NO! PLEASE MR. WHITE, I'LL-"

He was cut off as Mr. White's guard appear out of nowhere, and drag the boy into the shadows.

'Tch. He owed me five stones. Useless Mr. White, can't you wait till he repays me first, before you send him to become a pill?', the boy thinks to himself.

The scene was so common, the children cared more for the financial implications than the boy's life.

Of course, the boy did not dare to say anything out loud.

<1st Person PoV>

I went up as usual and dropped my earnings of the week into the satchel.

He always has the Satchel. It never becomes big, no matter how much we put inside.

It devours our hard earned money with it's dark mouth, never to be seen again.

Everything was going well, until-

"Stand next to me here until it's done."

I froze.

'Is he planning on sending me to the Furnace too? Why? Did something go wrong? Did he figure out my plan? What -'

My rushing thoughts came to a halt as he finally began speaking to me.

The collection was over far too soon for my tastes.

"I've been observing you, Number 13." He said calmly.

'That's BAD!' I thought in my mind.

"You are an exemplary child." He continued.

'That's....what does exemplary mean? He's smiling, so it's good?'

"I want you to come with me. Your talent is wasted here, in this group of beggars."

I really hated this guy.

But I smiled brightly and answered happily,

"Yes! I mean, yes Sir!"

Everybody wears masks.

I just wear a few more than others my age.

His words also ignited my ambition.

This was exactly what I needed.

Just one step, one way of getting onto this endless climb of power.

From here, it was up to me to finish the climb.

I would reach that goal of mine, no matter how naive it may seem.

I will become the King.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Edit- The spacing seems weird (At least when I'm reading it). Fixed that. A few spelling mistakes (It was 3 AM). Those are done too.

Now, let's see where this one goes.