Chapter Three

Copyright Joelle Blue ©

Seventy-ish years later

Rhiannon

"Rhian! Oh my gosh, you have to come see the new recruits! Hubba hubba," Brigit gushes. I chuckle at her antics. For a beta, Brigit is very excitable, but I love her for it. She never fails to make me smile. I named her the Queen's Beta not long after the last beta retired, and we have since created a strong bond.

We get a new group of recruits for The Gallows who are an army of elite soldiers loyal to me about every five years to help fill in people who have moved or passed on. It's hard watching people move out of our lives, but lots have found their bonded mates and gone to create families. We've had many warriors retire, our oldest being three hundred and sixty, and we've had some remain warriors until their last breath.

This army helps protect our people from rogue wolves or Feasa as well as any other creatures that could bring harm to our people. The spirits protect me, but the Gallows protect everyone else. There is no greater honor than being their commander.

For the entirety of my life, there has been a huge baby boom. We heard of what my reign would mean, but nobody expected at least a hundred young children in each pack to be running around all the time. Normally, there are five to ten young children in a pack at a time, but now packs are bursting with them.

It's a beautiful thing to see, but as the years go on, the longing gets more intense. Knowing that there's a small chance I'll ever get to experience carrying and loving a child of my own.

I always quickly push away those thoughts because there isn't a lot that I don't have to be grateful for and I quickly feel selfish. But sometimes, I just can't help it.

I look back toward my friend with an eyebrow raised. "I have no doubts, did you pick one out already?" I tease. Brigit is young for a wolf in her position, only forty years old. She's waiting for her mate, as most wolves are, but she's had exclusive partners in the past. Most wolves do since some wait almost a century for their bond to turn up. It's not expected for anyone to be untouched coming into a bond as long as there is respect for everyone involved. The "break ups" have always been amicable though. I've never bothered with anything like that knowing how complicated it could get. Not to mention that no one has really enticed me either. I've either known them my whole life or they work for me, and that just doesn't appeal to me.

"No, I didn't get that close, but I swear you could see their muscles from a mile away. Easily climbable, my favorite type of man." She seems even more excitable today. I watch her as she sits in the chair across from my desk, then stand back up. She does this three times before wiggling her arms and doing a little jig, like there are ants in her pants.

"You okay, Brigit? You're bouncing off the walls," I laugh.

"I don't know, I just feel excited! I feel good today! Don't you feel good today? Today is awesome!" What in the world...

"Uhhh, yes, very awesome –"

"I mean, aren't you just so happy? I love you. Do you know that? I feel like there are birds in my stomach. Is that the saying? No, bees?"

"Butterflies?"

"Yes! Butterflies! Oh wow, okay, now I'm a little nauseous. Oh, flip, if I throw up, I truly apologize." Touch the spirits whisper.

Ah, well I'm about to make Brigit even happier. I slowly walk up to her, praying to the moon she doesn't throw up. "Okay, Brigit, I think I know what's going on."