5 | Train

"This is the city's library!" Komaeda said, smiling. "You need to be real quiet when you're inside it,"

"Why?"

"So other people can read in peace,"

"I see. How boring."

"You can go home if all you're going to do is complain,"

"Hm. You are not logical,"

"Is that so?"

Kamukura nodded. "You let Hinata boss you around yet you do not shy away from scolding me."

"Hinata-kun doesn't boss me around,"

"Just earlier he told you to come with him and you listened without any protest,"

"Well, I know Hinata-kun. I trust him. I barely know you, so I'm going to be more critical of your actions,"

"I see. Komaeda, will you show me your home? I would like to see how someone like you lives,"

Komaeda hummed. "Hm. You need a place to stay?"

"'Need' is not the right phrasing. I want a new place to stay. My pod is shattered, there are officers everywhere and I cannot get a minute of peace and quiet. You are arguably my closest human companion,"

"Aaaa!!" Komaeda squealed, excited. "Are you saying we're friends??"

"Shh, quiet. This is a library." He pressed a finger to Komaeda's lips.

"You liiiike meee!"

"Since when are you so mischievous?" Kamukura asked, grabbing his chin.

"Since when are you so touchy?"

Kamukura retracted his hand. "I am not touchy,"

"You keep touching me though, are you flirting?"

"Certainly not. Now show me the way to your home."

"Alright!"

-

"You do not have a car?" Kamukura asked as they arrived at the train station.

"Nope. Neither a car nor a driver's license,"

"I see,"

"...you know... a while ago when I was walking home I saw that guy... Shinguuji and the girl he's looking after. He was staring at me all weird,"

"I have not seen Shinguuji in a while. He is a bit odd to most people, much like me,"

"Do you think he's dangerous?"

"I do not know him well enough to make a judgment on that. But I believe you should not trust anyone until they earn it,"

"Have I earned it yet?"

"No."

"It's okay. I understand," he said as the train arrived. The two men entered it and sat down. The train was quite full, but they had managed to find two seats.

A few stations later, a man that smelled like alcohol approached Komaeda.

"Gimme- gimme your seat, dude..." he slurred, grabbing Komaeda's shoulder. The pale man tensed up, but stayed calm.

"Uhm, alright-"

"No." Kamukura grabbed the man's wrist.

"He al-already said yes, you... you dumb fucking... you fucker... you..."

Worried, Komaeda got up. "Sit down before you pass out, please!"

"No, it is his fault for getting drunk and it is his fault for not finding a seat."

"Kamukura-kun, let's just... let's just leave him alone," Komaeda said, tired of the situation.

"Tch. Have some self-respect."

"Let's leave, I don't want to talk to drunk people..." he hugged himself, obviously uncomfortable.

Kamukura got up, annoyed. "You can have my seat, Komaeda."

"No, thank you... Uhm, you can keep sitting if you want, though,"

-

Once they left the train, Komaeda seemed more relaxed again.

"Speak up for yourself, Komaeda. If you want to keep your seat, say so. If you want him to leave you alone, say so. That was depressing to watch. You have no confidence or self-respect. You let people walk all over you."

"I know... But I am pretty worthless, so-"

"Pathetic. Who told you that?"

"No one in specific. I just know it. Everyone is out there doing something for this world while no one reads any of my articles. That's why this case is my big chance! It's such a crazy story, people will have to read my article about it! Hinata-kun made sure I would be the only one reporting on this case,"

"...Usually, people tend to have a bigger ego rather than a smaller one for no reason. You are fascinating in a way, I suppose,"

"Such a charmer,"