Chapter 14

Harry

Christmas was around the corner, but my mood wasn't the usual happy one that I got on Christmas every year. I hadn't seen or heard anything from Amelia for days. I knew she had gone home for the holidays, but the feeling was still uneasy and weird. Even though I was mad at her, I still wanted to know how she was. And I shouldn't, but I did. I couldn't stop caring about her and wanting her to be happy.

I was out with my sister, Gemma, to buy our mom's Christmas gift. I had no idea what to get her, and even though Gemma already had a present for her, she was willing to help me figure out what to get her. 

"What did you buy her?" I asked, as I looked at yet another dress that did not look good at all. "All these clothes are ugly as shit."

"I don't think we're in the right store." Gemma said, looking around and making a face when she saw that there was nothing good in there. "And I bought her a purse that she wanted. But I also want to give her something else."

"Do you have any ideas?" I asked, looking at her. 

"I'm gonna make her a canvas with a picture of the three of us." She said, nodding.

"That's such a great idea!" I said, excitedly. "Let me steal it."

"What? No!" 

"Please, Gem. I'm shit at this, you know it. I have no idea what to get mom. Women are complicated."

"Women are not complicated. Men are the ones who complicate everything." She stated, mater-of-factly. "Just give her some jewelry. We always like jewelry."

"Will you help me chose something for her?" I asked, with my best pleading face. She rolled her eyes.

"What would you do without me?" 

***

"Oh, honey! This is lovely!" My mom said, looking at the necklace I got her, that had 'Always on my mind' carved at the front and a picture of Gemma and I on the inside. "Thank you so much, baby. I love you so much!" Mom said, reaching for me and kissing my cheek.

"Glad you liked it." Gemma teased, making me show her my middle finger. She showed me her tongue and laughed. She was the one who helped me chose the necklace. 

"Come on, children. Let's stop the bickering." Mom said, laughing at the two of us. "Who wants breakfast?"

Gemma and I were the typical siblings, always bickering, always messing with each other. But we loved each other more than anything in the world. It was the way our mother raised us and, after her and dad got divorced, we got even closer. We could talk to each other about everything. And that's why, after our breakfast, we both sat by the fireplace, with a cup of tea in our hands.

"What's bothering you?" Gemma finally asked, looking at me over the rim of her cup. 

"Nothing. What do you mean?" I asked, trying to shake it off. I knew Gemma knew me way too well and there was no way I could lie to her. 

"Oh, please! Just tell me, Harry!" She insisted.

"Fine!" I rolled my eyes, sighing. "There's this girl..."

"I knew it!" Gemma almost screamed, interrupting me. I looked at her. "Sorry, keep going."

"Her name's Amelia and I... I..."

"You like her." She said. It wasn't a question.

"Yes, I do." I nodded. "Which never really happened before. This is completely new territory for me and sometimes I just don't know how to act."