Chapter 12

I open my eyes to see a familiar void but this time I feel my own heartbeat filling the space. As I float in this space, I feel as if I am falling and floating at the same time. My stomach feels as if it is doing summer saults as the beating of my own heart jerks me about. Suddenly, I drop. I feel like gravity has reached up and is pulling me into its center. My eyes shoot open to see nothing but a night sky that I am aimlessly falling into. I force my body to turn to look at what I could be falling into but all I see is the dark ickor-like black that I was just in. I, now fully feeling my fear, want to stop falling. I want this to stop, I want to go home. I want to go up. Up. UP!

As if heading my mind's feverish commands, I'm suddenly no longer falling just floating. I clasp my hands together as I steady my breathing until I notice it. My hand is no longer black it looks the same as my other hand. I then look down at my feet to see that my leg is just as clear. My eyes then catch the sight of a shadow, I winged... thing. I look to my left and realize where my blight has gone. It had formed wings for me because I wanted it. This thing that I thought to be just an evil curse, saved me, and now as I look across this horizon. The painting of wonderous stars and rippling auras is mine. As I breathe in, in a way I haven't in years, but before I can take my sky I hit my dorm room floor.

I groan as I pull my aching body off the rug of my room, I can still my headache but faintly now. As I sit up I get the honor of smelling the sweat that I was drenched in while I slept. Now that I can see clearly and it doesn't feel like in on the deck of a boat during a hurricane, I can take a bath.

As I dry the water off my hair, a sudden slamming on my door catches my immediate attention. I quickly get mostly dressed and built out of the bathroom when I am suddenly distracted my the state of the wall by my bed. It seems to be covered in dark black dust that looks as if something painted up my wall. I decided to investigate this more after I saw who was at my door. I open the door slowly as I peck my head out to see that no one is there. I fully open my door just to hear it slam awkwardly against the wall. I fully step out of my room and close the door to see a large blade stabbed into a piece of paper with disheveled handwriting. The words looked rushed and slightly distorted which caused me to feel a bit up easy. I remove the blade from my door before shrinking back into my room. As soon as I make sure that not a soul is around, I read the letter.

"Dear Marrow, you should know that I am a very jealous man. It is one of my sour spots. Please be mindful of how you choose to spend your time. Those boys you seem to associate yourself with are quite aggravating to me. I do know that you would be heartbroken if anything happened to them." -R.C.

I feel a knot in my stomach arise in my throat as I read this note. This time, however, I don't feel the fear, I just feel my anger. This yellow-bellied coward can't even face me without a hood to cover his face. This R.C. person will not harm my new acquaintances, no, I don't believe that they can't handle themselves but I don't want to see them hurt. My eyes scan my room to find the clock that has been ticking away in the corner. The clock shows the eleventh hour and at first, I assumed it was the middle of the night but the moment I open my window I am greeted with the noonday sun. I had slept through most of the school day and missed dinner last night. My stomach promptly reminds me of that fact as it gurgles, I decide to start making a plan to catch this R.C. and it begins with lunch where hopefully I find some help.