Chapter 6 - I Don't Need Your Pity -1

Chapter 6

 I Don't Need Your Pity - Part 1

"Yannick! don't do that, pleeeeeeease..." Valerie pleaded on her knees, hands joined, faking crying right in the middle of the doorway of my room. "Suicide never is the solution!"

I put back the spoon in the bowl of disgusting porridge the nurse had brought a few minutes before.

"Well hello you too, Valerie." I chuckled.

In a flash, her drama cleared from her face and she plopped down in the chair next to my bed, pushing on the tray from hell and handing me a paper bag.

"Hello darling!" she batted her eyes so fast it was hard to see her eyelids. "Give me a kiss?"

"You're crazy..." I looked in the bag an met her eyes, then I lifted the plastic box out of it. A huge grin spread from cheek to cheek on my face. "Oh no... it's not..." She smiled broadly.

"Yes!"

"Oh no! Not a..."

"Mango and passion fruit mousse cake!" we both exclaimed at the same time.

"Yes," she said, waiving a hand in front of her face, "I ate the rest of it. I know, I'm a pig."

The Pig... Oh crap! Colors drained from my face as I remembered his words. I let myself fall back onto the pillow, completely destroyed.

"What?" Valerie asked, her smile falling. "Yannick, are you doing alright? Do you want me to get the nurse?"

"Fuck..." I muttered.

"What?" She was getting nervous. "Damn Yannick! Tell me already!"

"It's okay..." I whispered, waving a hand in front of my face.

"It's not okay, Yannick, I can tell. Now stop being so stubborn and tell me!"

"I promised The P... my landlord I would give him the money for the rent... yesterday."

I felt a hand gently holding mine. Then Valerie spoke.

"So this is why you were so anxious to get your pay check yesterday?"

"Yeah..."

"Yannick... you're in a hospital." she said, her voice low and soothing. "I can't believe he won't understand..."

"Yeah... probably..." I lied. I knew The Pig didn't care about anybody. Not even if that anybody was lying in a hospital room. The only important thing for him was his cash and his relation to it. "You know," I mumbled, "you could get into a lot of trouble for bringing that kind of food to patients in hospital. Especially cake." I said, changing the subject.

"You rather die by poisoning yourself with that canned shit they served you?" She sighed loudly. "Anyway, you hurt your back! You're not sick! Not yet. But I can assure you that eating that dump they call food could make your stay in that room longer... Hum... maybe that's what they want..."

"Valerie, you see way too many movies! Stop seeing conspiracies everywhere!" We both laughed. "Anyway... like you're here to take me home?"

"Yes. My mother's car is parked downstairs."

"Cool! Dr. Werner should be here soon to sign my departure."

"Good! Then eat that cake before she comes and throw it to garbage and force that hospital junk into your throat."

"I also have a cane waiting for you in the car. That way you won't need to buy one."

"You shouldn't have..." She interrupted me.