-[ ALGERIA ]-

Country: Algeria, الجزائرية, Al-Jazair

Capital: Algiers

Population: 45,400,000

Demonym: Algerian

- Algeria is the largest country in Africa, beating the D.R Congo in second and Sudan in third. It is the tenth largest country in the world, and is roughly the size of Alaska.

- Due to the fact that four-fifths of the country is occupied by the blisteringly hot Sahara, 91% of the population live on the Mediterranean coastline.

- Algeria used to be an autonomous province of the Ottoman Empire, until France seized Algiers from them in 1830. Algiers used to be a French Department(1) which means it was as much a part of France as Bretagne or Occitanie.

- Algeria has seven UNESCO World heritage sites, one of them is the Roman city of Timgad, which has some stunningly beautiful ruins.

- There is an illegal sheep-fighting sport in Algeria where sheep are bred and trained to fight each other. It is is illegal because BREEDING ANIMALS TO FIGHT IS CRUEL, DUH

- The Djamaa el Djazair Minaret in Algiers is the tallest minaret in the world, standing at over 265 meters or 870 feet.

- France is mentioned in the Algerian national anthem, 'Qassaman' in the context of Algeria's struggle for independence. It's like if an edgy teen wrote a song about hating their parents, except the parents kidnapped them and the teen escaped.

- The national animal of Algeria, the Fennec Fox, is very smol, has big ears, and is so goddamn adorable istg-

THE BOYY

Sources:

https://factsinstitute.com/countries/facts-about-algeria/