-[ THE BAHAMAS ]-

Country: The Bahamas

Capital: Nassau

Population: 412,000

Demonym: Bahamian

- The Bahamas are one of two countries in the world with a definite article (The) in it's official name (The Bahamas & The Gambia)

- Christopher Columbus, landed on what is now known as the island of San Salvador, located in the Bahamas which makes it the first spot in the New World ever settled by Europeans.

- Despite being close to the Caribbean , people imagine the Bahamas to be in the middle of the ocean, when in reality it is directly south-east of Florida. Technically, the Bahamas is not Caribbean. West Indies, but no Caribbean.

- There are swimming pigs who love... well, swimming in the warm waters, duh. THe pigs on the island of Big Major Cay are suspected to be the original swimming pigs.

- The name, 'Bahamas' originates from the Spanish words: "Baja Mar" which translates roughly as "Shallow Sea Waters".

- On January 17, 1977, a cold wave swept southern Florida and brought cold weather all the way to the Bahamas. On that day, for the only time in recorded history, snow fell on the city of Freeport on the island of Grand Bahama.

(Source: https://everything-everywhere.com/8-facts-about-the-bahamas/)

- Mount Alvernia on Cat Island is the tallest point in the Bahamas, standing at a staggering... 63 meters. There are buildings not classified as a skyscraper taller than that.

- There are over 700 islands in the Bahamas, but 70% of the population live on the island of New Providence where the capital, Nassau, is located.