Penny's renovation - Part 2

The doorbell rang and Penny peeled herself out of bed. It was dusk outside and she looked at the clock in the hallway - just after six - who could be at the door at such an hour?

She quickly grabbed her bathrobe in the bathroom and zipped it up before going downstairs. She left the light off and, as she walked past, reached through the kitchen door for a knife that she hid behind her back when she opened the door.

"Good morning, I hope you're hungry?"

"Sam?! For heaven's sake, what are you doing on your feet at such an hour and what have you taken to be so fit? I want some of that too," she replied, dumbfounded and lowered her hand with the knife.

"1. you said yourself that you started working at 6 a.m. the day before yesterday. I thought that would be the case today too," he replied with a shrug. "And 2. I didn't take anything except lots of fresh air on my Bicycle and the prospect of a varied day in good company...assuming you put the knife away." She followed his gaze to the knife in her hand and, smiling, went into the kitchen to put it back in the knife block and start working on the coffee machine.

"That was just a precaution. I'm not used to people ringing my doorbell in the middle of the night. I wasn't expecting you to come so early."

"You can lie back down, I'll be fine," he replied and she pointed her finger up, alerting him that her alarm was going off.

"I would have gotten up by now anyway, so a few minutes don't matter," she replied and started the coffee machine before turning to Sam, who quickly raised his eyes to hers. Did he look her up? "I'll go upstairs quickly and put on something sensible. I'll be right back." He nodded and she stormed upstairs, turned off the alarm clock and quickly put on a pair of sweatpants and an old T-shirt - if she had to work, then at least be comfortable. She always slept in a top and shorts and she loved the bathrobe because it felt like a second skin, but it was also just as thin, so she must have given Sam a lot to see, she thought, blushing. She returned the robe to the bathroom, quickly brushed her teeth and washed herself before going downstairs to find the kitchen table already set. To her surprise, there was even a rose in a glass in the middle.

"I know it's not nice to look in other people's closets, but I thought I'd surprise you. I hope it was okay?"

"You really surprised me, thanks Sam," she replied with a smile as she sat down and Sam followed her example. "Where did you get the rose?"

"I got them from Dilys. She won't miss one of her bushes."

"Sam Jones!" Penny replied in a playful shock and dropped the rolls and knife in shock. "You're impossible."

"I see it as compensation for the many nerves that her spoiled son has already cost us."

"If it weren't for him, the Pontypandy Station would have no right to exist with the amount of personnel and equipment we have," she replied with a wink and took a bite of her bread roll.

"I'll send him a thank you note for Christmas," Sam replied dryly, biting into his roll before Penny laughed and pinned him.

"Come with me, I'll show you something," Penny replied as she took a quick look out the window, jumped up and grabbed his hand to lead him up the stairs behind her.

She led him into her bedroom and stood with him at the window. She didn't have to tell him what she meant. He saw the sunrise and she was right - it was even more beautiful than the sunset yesterday.

"You were right, this is breathtaking," Sam marveled as they watched the sun rise behind the mountains and absentmindedly, Sam began to stroke Penny's hand with his thumb, which was still holding his. This snapped them both out of their thoughts and they looked down at their clasped hands before looking into each other's eyes, but neither released the other's hand.