♱ ─ lies between

chapter 9: Melina's footsteps echoed softly as she moved further into the house, the creak of the floorboards beneath her feet the only sound in the oppressive stillness. The air felt thick and heavy, suffused with a tension that prickled at her skin.

She glanced around the dimly lit room, the shadows playing tricks on her eyes as she searched for any sign of life. The house seemed to hold its breath, as if waiting for something—though what, Melina couldn't say.

A sense of unease settled over her like a leaden cloak, weighing her down with each step she took. Her mind raced with questions, each one more troubling than the last. Where was everyone? Why was the house so unnervingly quiet?

Her fingers traced the familiar contours of the couch as she passed, lingering for a moment before moving on. She couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong, that she was walking into a trap.

"Wren?" she called out again, her voice barely a whisper in the stillness. But there was no reply, no cheerful response from her sister, no reassuring sound of movement from the upper floors.

Melina's heart pounded in her chest, a knot of fear tightening in her stomach. She swallowed hard, trying to quell the rising sense of panic threatening to overwhelm her. With each passing moment, the silence seemed to grow louder, echoing in her ears like a taunt.

Melina's frustration bubbled to the surface, her eyes narrowing as she rolled them in exasperation. With arms crossed tightly over her chest, she turned away from the scene unfolding behind her, the sound of Andrea and Philip's voices raised in argument fading into the background as she focused on putting distance between herself and the brewing conflict.

As she strode purposefully down the wall, her mind raced with thoughts of what awaited her back in town. She knew Andrea would likely face consequences for her outburst, but at this point, Melina couldn't bring herself to worry about it any longer. Her priority now was to return to the safety of the town and regroup.

But as she made her way further into town, she noticed Jaydn lingering nearby, his gaze fixed on her with an intensity that set her on edge. Furrowing her brows in confusion, Melina slowed her pace, approaching the boy cautiously as she tried to discern what was amiss.

Jaydn's behaviour was strange, to say the least. He seemed to fidget nervously, shifting from foot to foot as if he were trying to find an excuse to occupy himself. Melina watched him closely, sensing that there was something he wasn't telling her.

Drawing closer, she noticed him hastily plucking flowers from a nearby bush, his movements frantic as he attempted to conceal himself behind the delicate blooms. The sight was both puzzling and concerning, and Melina couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to this encounter than met the eye.

The crackling fire cast a warm glow over the gathering, its flickering flames dancing in the night sky. People clustered around the firepit, their voices mingling in a chorus of excited chatter as they jostled for the best vantage point.

Wren stood at the edge of the crowd, her eyes wide with disbelief as she took in the scene unfolding before her. Tommy walked beside her, his expression mirroring her shock as they both watched the spectacle with growing apprehension.

Melina's absence was conspicuous, her usual presence a comforting anchor in moments like these. Wren couldn't help but wonder why her sister had allowed her to come here alone, knowing full well the dangers that lurked beyond the safety of their home.

As she glanced around at the faces of the people gathered around the fire, Wren felt a sense of unease settles over her like a shroud. Despite the festive atmosphere, there was an undercurrent of tension in the air, a palpable sense of anticipation that left her on edge.