Chapter 2 - Far from the Nest

The silence over the clearing made Glory's feathers bristle. After the last thunder, any movement of the leaves provoked terrible anxiety in her, but she couldn't know where to fly to avoid being attacked as well. She swallowed with difficulty and after a few eternal seconds of no movement, she thought she could start to move away. She took a few steps back, but then heard a voice emerging from the other side of the clearing.

"Support me with the Absol."

Glory froze. Had they heard her? She wanted to avoid taking her next step, fearing it would make noise with the dry branches and leaves on the ground. After stubbornly thinking it over, she moved again through the vegetation, daring to glance at what was happening under the sunlight. It was a Zeraora... a Zeraora? What was a mythical Pokémon doing handling mere bandits? She saw the Pokémon carefully lift the weakened Lucario.

"They'll surely take them to Coral City..."

She thought, and when she tried to move again, she felt a burning sensation under her claws that reached her skin, making her quickly retract her step, stifling a cry of pain.

"What was that...!? Huh?"

She looked at the ground and found none other than the scale. Glory hadn't paid attention to the Absol because of the commotion between him and the Lucario; he almost took it! It must have flown off during the fight.

She turned back to the clearing, seeing the Zeraora and the Lucario again... but something seemed odd to her, wasn't the Zeraora talking to someone else?

"Darla!"

She heard a loud voice behind her. Immediately, Glory spread her wings and took off nervously, trying to flee with the scale. She didn't even bother to look back at the creature that had appeared; she just knew she needed to get away! Unfortunately for her, the mysterious Pokémon managed to grab her by the claw and pulled her back to the ground with a harsh yank that slammed her against the ground.

"I found a spy!"

Announced her attacker, who still hadn't released his grip on her! When Glory struggled to see who it was, she discovered it was a large Blaziken.

"Kento, let go of that Decidueye."

She heard the Zeraora, who seemed calmer and more serene than the chicken who had discovered her. At the command, the so-called Kento released her carelessly but didn't move away from her.

"How do you know it's not another one of those bandits?"

Glory felt slightly offended by the stubborn distrust with which Kento attacked her, but the words she wanted to use in her defense got stuck in her tongue. She hated the impotence her shyness generated; she simply didn't dare to respond to a fire type, much less to those Pokémon who had managed to weaken the bandits.

"Decidueyes live in this part of the jungle."

Replied the Zeraora, Darla—was that her name? She approached carrying the Lucario, fixing her eyes on Glory. Thoughtfully, she added:

"Besides, this one in particular doesn't seem like a threat. What's your name?"

Glory quickly stood up and looked closely at the Zeraora. The mythical Pokémon spoke with a kinder and more persuasive tone; she definitely felt more comfortable talking to her than to the Blaziken. Even so, she was anxious.

"Glory."

She replied almost without thinking, but very quietly. Had she forgotten not to talk to strangers? If her parents found out she had encountered not only bandits but also explorers, they wouldn't let her out for months! It had taken her so long to convince them to let her out! She felt very warm inside her hood; she didn't know what she would do if she was locked up in the Nest again. Darla seemed to notice that, so she kept her tone calm.