CHAPTER 2: Adjusting

"Daron!" Lisa squealed.
"Just trust me!" he then called, still dragging her by the arm. They stopped a few inches away from the dead. Close enough for them to catch Lisa and Daron's sweaty scent.
"Lisa! Watch my back-" Daron then said, Passing her his knife. He crouched down. 'What is he doing?!' Lisa thought to herself. After a few moments of anxiously wondering, Daron finally worked up a sewage drain's hatch, removing the lid.
"Lisa- Go-! NOW!" He ordered, as the small herd begun to limp towards them. She quickly jumped into the hole, like she was a bunny hopping away from threat.
"Hurry up!" She impatiently whined, her heart beating so much, it reverbed in her ears. "What are you even doing?!" she added.
"Im- a little caught up-!" A struggled Daron replied. Lisa looked up and saw how he was fighting off another dead-person, Unarmed. He looked as though he was slowly being closed in on.
"Im coming!" She quickly responded, trying to climb up the ladder.
"N- No! Stay down there- christ.. This wasn't meant to happen.." He then tossed her another something; a flashlight. "I've a plan-" He couldn't elaborate further, when another pounced on him. He panted and pushed the two strong dead off him. "I'll be back!" His voice slowly begun to fade as he ran off. Lisa was now alone in Houston's sewer system. Alone, scared and weighed down by grief.

She only took a few steps in before her face instantly scrunched up from the hideous stench. The smells that surrounded her were terrible, a mixture of rotten food, faeces, and decaying bodies. Lisa smacked the flashlight in frustration, trying to make it work, and after a few moments it flickered to life, casting a dim light around her. The flickering of the flashlight was erratic and inconsistent, and the overall light was very weak, barely doing its job.
"Great.." Her voice, despite being a whisper, echoed through the sewage tunnel. "Idiot.. What'd he think was gonna happen, dragging us into a group of them like that.." She held her knife up high as she shivered, nervously walking down the tunnel. She could've sworn something, or someone was behind her - so she spun around, holding Daron's knife up high.
Nothing.
Nothing but a fly, in which she mistakened the buzzing for the groans of the undead. She was obviously paranoid. She gritted her teeth, and was going to kick something out of frustration, but decided against it. Instead, she continued to walk further down. "It's too damn dark," she muttered as she continued walking. "I can barely see anything." Lisa muttered under her breath, growing more irritated by the second. Suddenly, something stirred in the shadows ahead of her. A low groan, followed by a soft shuffle, came from the darkness. She turned her flashlight to the direction in which the sound came from - but the flashlight simply wasn't bright enough. Lisa's heart began to pound loudly in her chest as she heard the sounds of movement grow louder in the darkness ahead of her. That same low, guttural groan, followed by another footstep, sounded out from the shadows.
'What..was that?' Lisa thought, her eyes frantically searching the area for any sign of movement. She held the flashlight tightly in her hand, desperately trying to see what was ahead of her, its unreliable beam of light only illuminating only a few feet around her again. Suddenly, the sounds of movement stopped. Then, from the darkness, a rotting hand reached out.

"OH FU-!" Lisa screamed as the hand, which was infested with maggots and drenched in saliva, grabbed her by the shoulder. Then, from the darkness, the rotting woman's face was seen, lunging out and trying to take a bite out of Lisa. Her eyeball was half out, and her face was so rotten and disfigured that no makeup could fix it. Lisa kicked her away, making the monster fall to the floor. "Jesus- Holy shit- get away!" Lisa then yelped in desperation, as if this monster would somehow understand her. But alas, she crawled towards Lisa now, still determined to consume Lisa's flesh. Lisa scrambled to get her knife ready, but while doing this, she dropped her flashlight, it's shatter echoed through the midnight black tunnel, and it's light faded away. "NO! NO! NO! NO!" Her frustration peaked as she was now completely engulfed in darkness, and blackness enveloped her. She breathed heavily, unsure of what to do now as she stood there, shivering in fear. That was, until - that same deafening groan was heard, and that monster-woman grabbed Lisa's left ankle. She desperately tried to kick the monster away, but fell backwards, into the sewage. The monster still had a strong grip as it slowly crawled to Lisa, it's groaning growing more eager by the second - as it inched closer to its prey. "SOMEBODY! ANYBODY! PLEASE- HEEEELP!" Lisa screamed, until she saw the monster crawl right next to her foot - it was just about to sink it's teeth into Lisa's foot, when all of a sudden;