Chapter 20

Evienne found herself outside, in the gardens of Aubrey hall. She only thought of taking a quick moment outside before returning back to the ball, but instead found herself reminiscing on the memories of her time here with her father and sister.

Lost deep in her thought she didn't hear Anthony approaching her. "Duchess, what are you doing out here" shocking the poor girl, she breathed out a sigh when she realised it wasn't someone coming to attack her or some other rational fear. "You Bridgerton brothers sure like to creep up on unsuspecting ladies in the garden" she almost smiled as she spoke out.

"To what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?" She indicated to him, sarcasm lacing her tone.

Anthony took a deep breath as he stood closer to where Evienne was sitting, "I've come to offer my sincerest apologies for my behaviour" he huffed out as he watched the duchess for her reaction.

"Apologies are all well and good, Lord Bridgerton, but they do little to undo the harm that has already been done." Evienne continued to face away from him, hoping he might just give up and leave her alone.

"You're right. Words alone cannot erase the past. But I hope that you might somehow find it in your heart to forgive me" Anthonys words sat with her for a moment, despite all the anger she built up for him, her conversation with Violet replayed in her mind. She often forgot that Anthony too lost a father, that he might have been dealing with his grief in a certain way when they were younger.

"Very well. I suppose we could attempt to be civil to one another" her words shocked him, Anthony expected the duchess to dismiss his offer and push him away entirely.

"Thank you, Duchess" Anthony responded as he sat beside her. "I propose something more, friends" Anthony didn't mind now that he might be pushing his luck, he accepted that she could forgive him and decided to continue forth.

The duchess laughed to herself at first, but surprising even herself she admitted, "friends then" and reached out her hand to shake with Anthony.