Chapter 19- Interrogation

We taped and stapled and tied everything in its place while Jonathan went and got Will. he brought the motionless body inside and sat him on the chair. He was then tied to a pole with a cable. Mike taped some bright lights onto the poles above white Joyced readied some medicine to put him to sleep if needed. Once the lights were plugged in, everybody left except me, Joyce, Jonathan, Mike, and Hopper. 

“All right, you ready?” Hopper asked.

“Yeah.” Joyce answered. 

He shook the hand that held a bottle of poison around before dumping a bit on a piece of paper towel. Holding it underneath Will’s nose, he inhaled it. His head shot up and he looked as if he’d just seen a ghost. His expression scared me. What if he didnt get out alive. His now dark brown eyes looked around as they came into focus about what was around him. He started to struggle against his binds. 

“What? What? What is this?” he struggled, “What? What is this? Why am I tied up?”

Joyce approached him and kneeled down to be at his eye level.

“Will, we just wanna talk to you.” she said calmly, “We’re not gonna hurt you.”

“Where am I?” he shouted.

“You recognize this?” Hopper held up the shadow monster drawing. He shook his head, “Do you recognize this?” he shook his head again.

“Hey. We wanna help you.” Joyce calmed, “But to do that, we have to understand how to kill it.”

“Why am I tied up?!” he screamed in her face, “Why am I tied up?! Why am I tied up?! Why am I tied up?!” he continued to scream while Hopper tried to calm him down by giving him a super tight hug. He kept screaming to let him go while the lights continued to flicker super fast. His voice got deeper and more villainous as he continued to scream. He kept screaming while Hopper hugged him tight, calming him down. His voice came back to normal and he stopped screaming periodically. The lights also stopped flickering. He looked drained by the end of it. Joyce sat up in front of him and looked him dead in the eyes before she started talking.  

“Do you know what March 22nd is? It's your birthday. Your birthday. When you turned eight, I gave you that huge box of crayons. Do you remember that? It was 120 colors. And all your friends, they got you Star Wars toys, but all you wanted to do was draw with all your new colors. And you drew this big spaceship, but it wasn’t from a movie. It was your spaceship. A rainbow ship is what you called it. And you must have used every color in the box. I took that with me to Melvald's and I put it up and I told everyone who came in, "My son drew this." And you were so embarrassed. But I was so proud. I was so, so proud.” she said this speech so calmly yet sadly. By the end of it, I had tears coming out of my eyes, but I wasn't balling. Now it was Jonathan’s turn. 

“Do you remember the day Dad left? We stayed up all night building Castle Byers… just the way you drew it. And it took so long because you were so bad at hammering. You'd miss the nail every time. And then it started raining, but we stayed out there anyway. We were both sick for like a week after that. But we just had to finish it, didn't we? We just had to.” he said. I remember Will telling me about that day and how happy it made him to finally finish building it. Mike now stepped up. 

“Do you remember the first day that we met? It was... It was the first day of kindergarten. I knew nobody. I had no friends and… I just felt so alone and so scared, but… I saw you on the swing and you were alone, too. You were just swinging by yourself. And I just walked up to you and… I asked. I asked if you wanted to be my friend. And you said yes. You said yes. It was the best thing I've ever done.” he remembered. Will told me that story too. I now leaned down. It was my turn. I only had one chance.

“The day we met. It was- the best and worst day of my life. I met you. You helped me when nobody else could. When I had nobody, I found you. You let me into your life and showed me more kindness than anybody else. You made me feel welcome and loved. You comforted me when I lost someone dear to me. You helped me see that even if something bad happens… I should keep going. You Will are the reason I kept going, and I love you so much for that. So much. I know that the real Will Byers that I love is still in there. So please… talk to us. Talk to me. Please Will.” I cried the whole time. He was my world and I couldn't let him be stuck like this. Will himself looked as if he was going to cry when we had finished. His lip was quivering and his soulless eyes were watering. 

“Will baby,” Joyce whimpered, “If you're in there, just please… Please talk to us. Please honey, please, can you do that for me?”

“Please.” I begged, “I love you so much.”

Will sat there with sympathy and sadness in his eyes until suddenly the slightest change showed. His emotioned changed in the slightest and the sadness that had once been on his face, faded away just as fast as it had showed.

“Let me go,” he said.

I squeezed my eyes together, letting the buildup of tears fall down my cheeks. Hopper looked disappointed as I saw the expression on his face change as well. It was a face of discovery. The man quickly walked out of the shed. We followed close behind as he made his way back into the house. He grabbed a piece of paper and slammed it on the table before scribbling things down.

“What happened?” Dustin asked, “Jesus, Y/N, your eyes are even worse.”

“Great.” I sighed in defeat.

“I think he’s talking.” Hopper said, “Just not with words.” he was scribbline several dots and lines on the paper before him

“What is that?” Steve asked.

“Morse code.” the boys and I answered.

“H-E-R-E.” Hopper spelled out.

“Here.” we all said.

“Will’s still in there. He’s talking to us.” Hopper explained.

Joyce looked hopeful yet terrified as Jonathan ran into Will’s bedroom and retrieved the boombox off the nightstand and ran back out into the shed with Mike, Joyce, Hopper, and I. As we entered the shed, Jonathan slid the cassette tape inside the compartment and began blasting Will’s favorite song “Should I Stay Or Should I Go?”

Turn after turn, the four of us would go up to Will, sit before him, and tell him a story. A personal story. Hopper would be at his side and carefully watch Will’s hand which was still tapping on the leg of the chair. Every click of the radio would be sent to the others inside and they would decode it. From the inside of the shed, I heard a noise. A ringing. It was the phone. Inside the house. Shit. 

Hearing the noise, Will snapped out of it and starred in the direction of the ringing. His eyes rolled back in his head and scattered throughout his eyelids. A sharp pain shot through my eyes again as he did so. 

“Shit!” I shouted and clamped my hand over my eyes, “Not again!”

So much was happening at once. Joyce was speaking to Will, Mike was grabbing ahold of my burning body. Hopper approached Will and got in his face.

“It knows.” he said, “It knows where we are.” Joyce grabbed another needle and injected it into his side which made him go limp and made the pain in my eyes cease.