Fevered Love

The first light of dawn was beginning to filter through the curtains when Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez woke up, her body wracked with pain. Every muscle ached, and her head throbbed as if it were being squeezed in a vise. She groaned softly, trying to sit up, but a wave of dizziness forced her back down onto the pillow.

Next to her, y/n stirred, immediately sensing that something was wrong. She turned to face Alex, concern etching lines on her forehead. "Alex? What's wrong?"

"I... I don't feel good," Alex managed to say, her voice weak and shaky. "Everything hurts, and I think I have a fever."

y/n's worry deepened. She reached over and placed a hand on Alex's forehead, frowning at the heat radiating from her skin. "You're burning up," she said, her voice filled with concern. "You need to stay in bed. I'm calling you out of work."

Alex protested weakly, "I have so much to do. I can't just stay home."

But y/n was firm. "You can't go to work like this. You need to rest and get better. The world can wait a day or two for you to recover." She reached for her phone and quickly dialed the office, explaining the situation and ensuring Alex's duties would be covered.

After hanging up, y/n turned her full attention back to Alex. "Alright, now let's get you comfortable." She gently helped Alex lie back down, propping her up with extra pillows.

"I'll be right back," y/n said softly, disappearing into the bathroom. She returned moments later with a damp washcloth and a glass of water. She sat on the edge of the bed and pressed the cool cloth to Alex's forehead, trying to bring down the fever. "Drink some water, okay? You need to stay hydrated."

Alex sipped the water gratefully, leaning into y/n's touch. "Thank you," she whispered. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

y/n smiled, brushing a strand of hair away from Alex's face. "You don't have to think about that because I'm not going anywhere. Just focus on getting better."

Throughout the day, y/n was a whirlwind of care and compassion. She kept a steady supply of cool compresses and fluids for Alex. However, as the morning wore on, Alex's condition worsened. She suddenly sat up, a look of panic in her eyes. "y/n, I think I'm going to—"

Before she could finish, Alex was overcome with nausea. y/n quickly grabbed a wastebasket and held it for Alex as she began to throw up. y/n's heart ached as she watched Alex suffer, but she stayed calm and supportive.

"It's okay, Alex. Just let it out," y/n soothed, rubbing Alex's back. "I'm here."

This cycle repeated itself several times throughout the day. Every time Alex felt the wave of nausea, y/n was right there, holding her hair back and offering words of comfort. Despite the exhaustion and worry, y/n never left Alex's side.

When Alex wasn't vomiting, y/n kept the room quiet and dark, minimizing anything that might aggravate Alex's headache. She also made a simple, nourishing broth, coaxing Alex to take small sips between bouts of nausea.

Every so often, y/n would sit beside Alex, holding her hand and offering soothing words of comfort. "You're so strong, Alex," she murmured. "But even the strongest people need rest. It's okay to let yourself be taken care of."

As the day wore on, Alex began to feel a little better. The fever started to break, and the pain in her muscles gradually eased. By evening, she was able to sit up in bed, feeling much more like herself, though still weak.

y/n brought in another bowl of broth, smiling as she saw the improvement in Alex's condition. "How are you feeling now?"

"Better," Alex said, her voice stronger but still hoarse. "Still a little weak and queasy, but much better. Thanks to you."

y/n kissed her on the forehead. "I'm just glad you're feeling better. You had me worried there for a bit."

Alex reached out and took y/n's hand, squeezing it gently. "I don't know how to thank you, y/n. You took such good care of me."

y/n shook her head. "You don't have to thank me. I love you, Alex. Taking care of you is the least I can do."

Tears filled Alex's eyes, but this time they were tears of gratitude and love. "I love you too, y/n. So much."

They sat together in the quiet of their bedroom, the worst of Alex's illness behind them. With y/n by her side, Alex knew she could face anything, even the toughest challenges, with strength and grace. And in moments of vulnerability, she had y/n's unwavering love and support to see her through.