Cautiousness

The sun was setting over Washington D.C., casting a warm glow over the Capitol building. Inside, Congresswoman Alexandria "Alex" was attending a fundraising event, mingling with donors and constituents. Her partner, Y/n, stood nearby, keeping a watchful eye. The atmosphere was relaxed, with laughter and clinking glasses filling the air.

As the evening progressed, a well-dressed man approached Alex, holding a tray with a bottle of expensive wine and two glasses. He smiled warmly, but there was something off about his demeanor that immediately caught y/n's attention.

"Congresswoman, a gift from one of your supporters," the man said, offering the bottle to Alex. "A rare vintage, just for you."

Alex smiled politely and reached for the glass, but y/n's instincts were on high alert. She stepped forward, intercepting the glass before it reached Alex's hand.

"Let me," y/n said, taking the glass and raising it to her nose, pretending to admire the aroma. Her eyes locked onto the man's, her suspicion evident.

The man's smile faltered for a split second before he recovered. "Of course," he said smoothly. "Enjoy."

Y/n took a small sip, her eyes never leaving the man's. Within seconds, her expression turned grim. She set the glass down with deliberate calmness and stepped closer to Alex, her hand subtly moving to her side where she kept a concealed weapon.

"There's something wrong with the wine," Y/n whispered to Alex. "Don't drink it."

Alex's eyes widened in surprise, but she trusted y/n implicitly. She turned to the man, who was beginning to sweat under y/n's intense gaze.

"Who sent you?" Alex demanded, her voice steady and commanding.

The man hesitated, his eyes darting around as if looking for an escape route. Before he could react, y/n grabbed his arm in a firm grip, her other hand reaching into her pocket for her phone to call security.

"It was a mistake," the man stammered, trying to pull away. "I didn't mean any harm."

Y/n tightened her grip. "You're not going anywhere until you explain yourself."

Just then, security arrived, alerted by y/n's discreet signal. They quickly apprehended the man, who began to plead and protest his innocence.

As the guards led him away, y/n turned back to Alex, her expression softening with concern. "Are you okay?"

Alex nodded, taking a deep breath to steady herself. "Thanks to you, yes. I can't believe someone would try to poison me."

Y/n pulled her into a gentle hug. "I'll always be here to protect you, Alex. No matter what."

Alex smiled, her gratitude evident. "I know. And I'm so grateful for that."

The rest of the evening continued under heightened security, with y/n never straying far from Alex's side. They knew the challenges of their roles were far from over, but they also knew they could face anything together.

As they finally left the event, walking hand in hand into the night, Alex glanced at y/n, her heart swelling with affection. "You're my guardian angel, you know that?"

Y/n chuckled softly. "And you're my everything, Alex. I'll always be here to watch over you."

The Capitol lights shone brightly behind them, a beacon of hope and resilience. Together, Alex and y/n knew they could face whatever dangers lay ahead, united in their love and unwavering in their determination to make a difference.