2. Beyond the Familiar

🐦"How about we go out? Maybe that will cheer you up?"

🐕‍🦺"Sure but-"

🐦"No buts! You need to get out you've been trapped here forever. And it stinks."

🐕‍🦺"What- anyways fine let's go."

🐦"Yay!"
Bird shifts into his human form catching me off guard
🐦"Cmon it won't be so bad"
Bird noticed I was hesitant

I changed into my human form as well,
I was a average height teen, kinda skinny with brunette hair and dark hazel eyes

As me and bird walk out the door we hear our distant neighbors arguing. Not wanting to eavesdrop we continued walking.
But as we kept going further me and Bird see more people arguing and getting into fights.

🐕‍🦺"...what's going on-?

🐦"I don't know but I don't have a good feeling about it"

🐕‍🦺"Maybe we should go home"

🐦"Non-sense we need to get food remember?"

🐕‍🦺"Right."
I feel like birds disregarding my feelings
I don't want to be here.

We reached a local grocery store but at the entrance way our eyes filled with the sight of blood and screams.
"THAT DOGS BEING ATTACKED!"
"SOMEBODY HELP HIM"
Several mixed chants went around but no one did anything about the situation. I stood there in fear but Bird grabbed my hand and threw me in an alley way.

🐦"I'm going to go help him"

🐕‍🦺"Are you crazy!? You could end up like him"
🐦"I'm not crazy, but I'm going either way."
I nodded my head, and off Bird went. I eavesdropped on their conversation, making sure he was okay.

👤"GET OUT OF MY WAY. What do you think you're doing!?"
He shoved Bird away.

🐦"I'm helping him. I can't stand to see this happen, and everyone is being such a baby about it"

👤 "Ah I see. Trying to be a big hero huh? This ain't a movie. Though, I could say it's a lot like fiction."

🐦"What does that mean?."

👤Haven't you heard? Skin walkers. They could be anywhere. I don't care what others think, but they need to go away. Who knows what they'll do to society? We'll be destroyed."

"Maybe you're one of them."

Those words struck Bird. And the human could tell something was off.

👤"Are you one of them? Tell me!!"

Bird froze. And the human got progressively more infuriated. The human taking a closer step each second towards Bird made him take flight. He began to run out of the scene, with the man chasing behind him. When he passed by the alleyway, I ran out and grabbed his arm, hoping we could escape.
The man's shouts grew shorter as we made it to a construction site with lots of broken-down trees. No one was working at the moment, so we switched forms and ran towards my house.

🐕‍🦺"Bird"

🐦 Now-is- not the time to say I told you so."
Keep running"
Bird was out of breath and seemed quite mad.

The rest of our run was in silence until
We made it to my apartment.