You said "light my cigarette"

Leonardo POV

My breath stilled as his eyes sparkled. Twinkled, dear I say, like tiny stars which he encapsulated in orbs. 

Before I could find the will power to react, he spoke in a harsh tone,

"Do you need something?"

And again, that baritone voice. Something about the depth tickled my senses, causing cascades of shivers to wreck through my body. It was so mind altering that I barely recognized the vicious tone and malicious words which were being sent my way.

However, it did not phase me. 

As such, I stooped down next to him and I noticed his cautious eyes set on my every movement. I felt fidgety. A contemptuous snarl was sent as a warning. 

A defense mechanism. Something to make me back off but only made me more interested. 

So I pulled out a pack of cigarettes from my back pocket and searched for my lighter. However I knew that my lighter was home. I barely smoked in public unless it was for socialization purposes. 

So I pointed my unlit cigarette in his direction, hoping he wouldn't ignore my plea to lengthen the time we had together and I said in the softest tone I could muster, 

"Light my cigarette?"

I waited in hopeful silence, praying that he wouldn't turn me away, for I needed to know more about this mysterious force which drew me to him.

I guess my lack of aggression and hostility lowered his guard just enough for him to pull out his lighter and light my cigarette. 

A sign of acceptance. Permission to stay in his company even if it was for a sliver of the timed game we call life. 

I sighed as a comfortable silence fell between us. At least I thought it was comfortable, but I guess he didn't as not long after he said quietly, almost whisper like, 

"Name's Xavier. What's yours?"

A small smile found its way to my lips, because not only was he engaging in conversation with me, he also was interested in me. At least interested enough to want to know my name. 

So, in the same whispering nature I responded, 

"I'm Leonardo"

He hummed softly before taking a drag out of his cig. He was looking at the sky which had hues of red, pink and orange painted onto it. The warm sunlight which rested on his face highlighted the softer features he had. 

The soft curve of his eyelashes,  the slight plumpness of his lips, the slight simmering of his eyes. He was so picturesque that I couldn't look away. The cigarette between my fingers burned away, having barely been put to use. 

I wondered how such a strikingly beautiful person could ever end up with those nasty bruises which littered his face. And before I could stop myself, I asked,

"How did you get those bruises?"

He jumped slightly at my sudden question before looking at me with a pained expression. He kept silent for a while, biting his lip as he contemplated answering me. He sighed then looked at the ground and he said in a shaky voice, 

"I.....let's just say I have a tough time at school...."

I nodded, knowing not to push any further, in fear I might make him uncomfortable and eventually leave. I  started to softly hum as I thought of another question to ask, in hopes to know more about this mysterious boy. 

"How old are you?"

To my surprise, he asked me first, taking small glances to show that he was willing to entertain a conversation with me. I couldn't help the smile that spouted from my lips before I answered,

"19"

He then proceeded to do the most adorable thing of gasping then giggling before saying, 

"Me tooooooooooooo"

His twinkling eyes never ceased to amaze me as there was a sparkle to it. Like a spark of real interest was finally being discovered. 

"When is ur birthday?"

He asked excitedly. I smiled and chuckled at his cute behavior before saying,

"The 8th of August" 

He grinned mischievously before saying, 

"Guess I'm older than you then. My own is the 16th of June. "

I laughed at his seeming eagerness to be older than me. And before I knew it, we had spent the rest of the evening having light-hearted conversations and soft giggles. 

The once sunsetting sky was now sun less, and dark blue strokes of darkness cascaded over the night sky as the moon rightfully shone in its place. 

As much as I didn't want to, I had to part with the angelic boy I met. Before leaving though, he gave me his number, saying he had fun and would like to do this again. The light blush which painted my cheeks was not apparent on my dark skin tone but the shy smile which I held even after we parted hinted thay maybe my attraction to Xaiver was just purely out of curiosity.  

●■♤■●