chapter 10

(anadil's pov)

I open my eyes, warm, which is already a strange feeling since I tend to be a generally cold person. And then I look up, first noticing the clock that says 6:15,and then see Hester holding me. What is going on..? And then, without daring to move, I look around the room and the memories of last night slowly come back to me.

Oh god. What on Earth... what was I thinking. What is Hester thinking? Why is she so close to me? Why is she being nice to me? Does she know what I wanted to do yesterday? Of course she does, a little part of me says that I promptly tell to shut up. Why am I acting like this, why is she acting like this, why is she being so kind, why isn't she being her usual grumpy, mean, angry self? Another small part of me tells me she was never mean or angry towards me. But... I sift through the memories of last night, trying to forget all of it, how stupid I was- and then remember her telling me she'll always be there for me.

I shiver, cold again. This isn't real. I'm going to wake up again, in my mother's house, and none of this is going to have ever happened, and Hester would have never hugged me-

Hester groans, pulling me closer.

"Ani, shut up."

"Umm, I'm not saying anything," I whisper.

"You're so tense I can feel it. Calm down," her tired eyes open. I could look into them forever, dark, and slightly light in the insides.

"Sorry." She pulls up the covers, and her expression softens a little more.

"Don't be sorry, just.. chill." she chuckles at the last part, and it warms my heart more than she could ever know. I feel myself drift into sleep again.

- - -

I wake up to quiet cursing, and recognize Hester's voice- her cursing at tripping over random items quieter than most days. I look at the time and it's 7:20.

"Shit," I whisper, getting out of bed, stumbling momentarily, before righting myself. I grab my Never uniform dress and walk towards the bathroom. Hester grabs my arm, and it sends a shot of electricity up it.

"What are you doing," Hester asks, as more of a statement than a question.

"Umm, getting ready. For class."

"Why are you going to class." She takes her hand off my arm, and crosses her arms in front of me.

"Hester, I'm okay now. I can function. And if I don't feel well, I'll just come back to the dorm." She eyes me for a long moment, her eyes narrowing.

"Fine. But take your medicine."

"I will. Mom." She doesn't waver from her glare, so I sigh and go towards my cabinet, take a capful of it, and shoot her a happy now? look, for about the hundredth time before walking to the bathroom.

- - -

Hester stands closer to me than normal as me, her, and Dot walk to Professor Manley's class. People point and whisper at us more than normal. I try not to look, because I know why they are. Hester's hand brushes mine, and I have to convince myself it was accidental.

We walk into class, and Professor Manley beams at me, it's obvious that I'm his favorite- everyone knows it- more than Hester, too.

"Welcome back, Anadil," he says to me, as everyone takes their seats.

"Thanks," Suddenly, Professor Sheeba Sheeks is standing outside the door, beckoning Manley to talk to her about something. He leaves the room, and the class bursts in conversation. I hear my name and both me and Hester turn around.