chapter two: Happy Birthday!

Doris returned to the waiting room weak and tired. Her family rushed to her to inquire what the doctor had said. She let out a sigh carefully repeating the doctor's words. The room went silent as they all exchanged confused glances. Mom collapsed on the nearby chair. Hot tears streamed down her cheeks as she felt the world closing up on her. She closed her eyes and muttered silent prayers while waiting for Dr. Albert.

Some minutes later, a slender man in a well tailored suit walked in, he looked like he was in his 30s. We exchanged surprised glances. Everyone was expecting an old experienced man not a boy. The doctor could read our expression and spoke up. "Good day Mrs. Martins, I'm sorry for your husband's predicament and I assure you that I'll do everything in my power to save his life. Your husband will be fine. I'll begin the surgery now." With that he gave signals and his coat was handed over to him as he walked to the OT(operating theatre). Where the patient was already waiting. Immediately he entered the lights turned red. Family members panicked . mom was loosing consciousness. She was nervous, beads of sweat popping out on her body despite the air conditioned room. Grandma hugged and gave her a reassuring squeeze. "Don't worry dear, all will be fine" she said softly.

"Aaaah Anabel over here, is this not Prince Nelson, as in the nelson we know attends doragos high" I scoffed "so? I don't know what you see in him." " I see everything you don't see besides why do you hate him he has done nothing wrong to you" she said glaring at me. I rolled my eyes in annoyance, "No he hasn't , I'm only stating facts. He is not that fine besides if you've a crush on him it's your problem, don't disturb me" Anabel blurted out returning her attention to her phone. Annelyse frowned " why are you always cold? Whenever I talk to you, you say something discouraging at least pretend. Can't we be like other sisters in the world?" She queried and I kept quiet not wavering my gaze off my phone. I have done nothing wrong. She keeps disturbing me about this Nelson guy. I see nothing fascinating about him and besides he attends a different school.

I and Annelyse are twin sisters. We have different opinions on almost everything. We quarrel over trivial matters, actually she does and I sit and watch her display all round of madness. She has a boyfriend Evans. I don't have one. Actually I have no friends, I find it difficult to socialize which to some is seen as pride. One thing I learnt was that, following the judgement of people will take you no where. "Wtf!!! Anabel it's dad's birthday today. He'll be 40. Company staffs posted it" she screamed jolting me out of my thought.

I scanned through my phone and it was indeed true. Mom took dad to the hospital last night and we've been with the nanny since then. "Annelyse don't you think something is wrong? Mom hasn't called since last night." She rolled her eyes "she's probably busy you need to stop worrying". I kept quiet returning to my phone but I couldn't concentrate, my instincts kept convincing me something was wrong and Annelyse wasn't willing to support me. I quickly celebrated my dad's birthday on my social media platforms and clicked on the phone app dialing mom's number. It rang but there was no response. I tried again but it repeated the same thing.

Something was definitely wrong, mom never misses my call. I took my windbreaker from my closet and rushed out the door " Annelyse something came up, I'll be back soon,Tell Margaret so she wouldn't worry" I said leaving the house. "Yeah yeah" she said obviously absentminded. What is wrong with this girl, I gritted my teeth as I drove my car out the gate. I drove to a nearby mall. It was his birthday, I needed gifts. I got a wristwatch and a pair of shoe. I knew his shoe size. After paying at the counter, I drove to the hospital.

It was a hospital we frequented so finding it wasn't difficult. I saw mom's white sport car parked in the lot. I smiled. My guess was right. I thought as I walked into the hospital with the gifts.