The Way She Touched Me

Just on time, the buzzer to my one bedroom apartment goes off. A grizzly male voice comes over the intercom, breaking due to the ancient system, “Delivery for Miss Parker.” Buzzing him in, I rise from my desk, conveniently placed by the door.

    Signing the receipt, the man tears off my copy before handing me a vase of white daisies with, “Have a great day, ma’am.” Applying the same courtesy, I close the door slowly, cradling the vase to my chest with my left arm, my right extended against the door.

    Inhaling deeply, I push off the wooden door, placing the vase down upon my lace-adorned mahogany desk. Without counting, I already know that there are thirty-six daisies. One daisy for each month my girlfriend - my ex-girlfriend, I remind myself - and I had been together. Thirty-six months and five days together before she was taken away.

    And, it was my fault she was taken away.

    It’s been a year a later, a vase of daisies arriving every month, and I still have not moved on from her. The ache in my heart grows with sorrow as I glance over at the portrait of Jessie. Her dark locks falling off the side of her shoulder as her head tilts and a smile wide as she stares past the camera and into my eyes.

    Getting shivers, the memory of the day comes back to me.

    It was our first year anniversary; the sun was high in the sky, though the slight wind kept us cool. She sat at my feet, trying to find a tickle spot. Giving up, Jessie crossed her arms in frustration. “Aliana,” She whined cutely, puffing out her bottom lip, “Can’t you just play along like you are ticklish?”

     Chuckling, I shook my head from my position on the blanket, “Nope.” I said, popping the P. On my back, I held the camera, snapping a few shots of the beauty. Sticking her hand in front of the camera, she wrinkled her nose, “Take shots of something else. That’s like the hundredth today.”  

    Propping myself up on elbows, I raised an eyebrow, looking around the area, “Sorry, I cannot find something else that’s as stunning as you.” I shrugged, raising my camera up quickly as she beamed; her head tilted to the side like it did when she got shy.

    Grinning, I bit my bottom lip, forgetting about the camera as I placed it aside. “What?” She asked, biting her own lip.

   “You’re.. you’re just really beautiful,” I murmured, pulling myself up with the core muscles of my torso. I couldn’t want her any more than I did right then. The way her hair fell perfectly created a glow surrounding her angelic face as the sun beamed down. Our heads leaned in, her lips parting beneath mine.

   Her lips were like a slice of heaven. Sweet, soft, and perfect is what they were. Gently, she kissed me with a passion that defied all words. It was amazing how much she could express in one kiss. Jessie made me feel more loved than I’ve ever imagined possible.

     Just as the kiss began to end, I felt like I hadn’t had enough. Our heads stayed together, both of us breathing evenly. Breaking the silence, Jessie whispered, “Lay back.” Her voice sounded off, like she was nervous about something.

    Not questioning, as I had complete trust in her, I descended back down into the blanket. Meanwhile, she pulled a daisy out of the bouquet she bought me. Looking down at it, she grinned softly, scooting closer to me, sitting at my thighs, her legs off to the left.

    Her hand slid under my skirt, dragging sensually against my leg as I gave a shiver. “Did you know, daisies mean purity and innocence?” Her green eyes flickered up to my deep blues. Twirling the daisy between two fingers, she licked her bottom lip. “It’s rather ironic that they’re your favorite and you’re my little virgin.”