Chapter 24

Armani Pov

We landed at Crissy field after nightfall. As soon as Dr Chase stepped out of his Sopwith Camel, Annabeth ran to him and gave him a huge hug. "Dad! You flew...you shot...oh my gods! That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen!"

Her father blushed, "well, not bad for a middle-aged mortal, I suppose."

"But the celestial bronze bullets! How did you get those?"

"Ah, well. You did leave quite a few half-blood weapons in your room in Virginia, the last time you...left." Annabeth looked down embarrassed, so I'm guessing she didn't quite leave, more like ran away. Dr Chase was very careful not to say ran away. "I decided to try melting some down to make bullet casings," he continued. "Just a little experiment."

He said it like it was no big deal, but he had a gleam in his eye, and I could see why Athena had taken a liking to him. I mean, he good-looking guy for his age and smart too, like mad scientist smart.

"Dad..." Annabeth faltered.

"Annabeth, Percy, Armani," Thalia interrupted, her voice urgent. She and Artemis were kneeling at Zoe's side, binding the huntress's wounds. The three of us ran over to help, but there wasn't much we could do. We had no ambrosia or nectar, no regular medicine.

I felt my heart sank as I gazed down at Zoe, a comrade who quickly became a friend. The once steadfast and brave huntress now shivered uncontrollably, her faint glow flickering like a dying flame. I felt my eyes fill with tears, as I witnessed Zoe's dying moments. Sometimes reality hits a bit too hard and makes you feel incredibly useless, especially when you can't save the lives of those around you.

"Can't you heal her with magic?" Percy asked Artemis. "I mean, you're a goddess."

Artemis looked troubled, "life is a fragile thing, Percy. If the fates want the string to be cut, there is little I can do, but I can try."

She tried to set her hand on Zoe's side, but Zoe gripped her wrist. She looked into the goddess's eyes and some kind of understanding passed between them.

"Have I...served thee well?" Zoe whispered.

"With great honor," Artemis said softly. "The finest of my attendants."

Zoe's face relaxed, a serene expression, "Rest. At. Last."

"I can try to heal the poison, my brave one."

In that moment, I knew it wasn't just the poison that was killing her. It was her father's final blow. Zoe had known all along that the oracle's prophecy was about her, that she would die by a parent's hand, and yet she had taken the quest anyway.

My heart shattered as she watched Zoe's fragile form tremble with each breath.

Zoe turned her gaze to Thalia, reaching out to take her hand.

"I am sorry we argued," Zoe said, her voice growing fainter. "We could have been sisters."

Tears welled up in Thalia's eyes as she replied, her voice quivering, "It's my fault. You were right about Luke, about heroes, men—everything."

"Perhaps not all men," Zoe murmured, summoning a faint smile as she glanced weakly at Percy. "Do you still have the sword, Percy?"

Percy tried to speak, but he was failing too. The grief must have been hitting him too hard, and I get why two deaths in one quest can really hurt. He retrieved Riptide and placed the pen in her hand. Zoe clutched it with a sense of contentment. "You spoke the truth, Percy Jackson. You are nothing like...like Hercules. I am honored that you carry this sword."