Star of the Show (Neil Perry One-Shot)

You had always been a fan of theatre. All art really, poetry... So, when you saw the advert for a school production of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' you quickly bought a ticket. It was far cheaper and more accessible than a professional production. You knew the story well and particularly identified with the character of Helena. You didn't have very high expectations going into it though, being wary of the talents of people your own age.

You chose to sit a few rows from the front, giving yourself the best chance to pick up the finer details and thinking that you would probably be more invested than other audience members. The place seemed sold out and you were soon joined by people sat next to you. You had always felt discomfort at sitting next to strangers, but you tried to ignore it and give yourself the best chance of enjoying the play.

Although Midsummer fell firmly into the category of comedy, you weren't one to often laugh out loud. When themes of love were explored, you usually felt a twinge of sadness as your own loneliness was brought to light. However, this sentiment was not shared by many and you were very aware of a near constant chuckling directly behind you. You should have respect for any large group of boys interested in the arts, but it really wasn't that funny. Despite the small strain placed on your ears to hear the actors, you couldn't fault the production. You could convince yourself that it was a seasoned performance of a much more experienced cast. During the interval you reflected on your enjoyment and looked forward to the second part. You knew you were going to regret it, but you chose to remain seated for the full fifteen minutes. Trying to be subtle, you chanced a glance behind you. Sadly, you were faced with a few empty seats. You wouldn't catch the loud culprits after all. Not that you would find it in yourself to confront them though. You must have been staring a bit too long because an older gentleman noticed you. "What do you think of it so far?" He kindly asked you. You gave your glowing review, mentioning the performance of Puck in particular. This caused the man's smile to widen. "Yes, Neil is really very talented. I am the boy's English teacher, so I can take partial credit. John Keating. I will be sure to pass on your praise, unless you want to yourself." This caught you off guard. You were never one to hound actors at a stage door, but this was so small scale... plus, since you learned that this was his first ever role, encouragement would probably be welcome. You nodded, agreeing that you would join him in congratulations after the show. For the first time, you noticed a blonde boy next to Mr Keating who had been following your conversation. "This is Todd Anderson, Neil's roommate." He introduced you. You could tell that Todd was quiet, but still wanted to include him. "I guess it wasn't you making all of that racket then?" He shyly shook his head. Keating explained that the rest of his students had been responsible and apologised on their behalf. "It would seem that I have encouraged their voices a bit too much."

As Neil took his final bow, the boys erupted into cheers behind you, shouting a chorus of "Puck! Puck!" You couldn't believe that you were joining forces with them to meet the star of the show. You were definitely the odd one out as you followed behind the rowdy bunch. Keating still managed to lead and navigate the group though. As soon as you caught sight of Neil, he was gone again within the crowd of Keating's poets. Once things had died down, the teacher dragged you towards Neil to make the connection. As all eyes were on you, you almost lost your courage, but plowed ahead as Neil stared at you. "I, uh, just wanted to say that I thought the performance surpassed all expectations and that you really stole the show. It was everything you would want, transportive, uplifting..." Keating noticed you starting to struggle and stepped in. "Proof of what I've been telling you all along, poetry gets women!" The truth was, it had already been the best night of Neil's life, and your words only proved that everything was going his way. He felt unstoppable. People were leaving the venue and dispersing when Neil caught up to you. "(Y/N)! I would really love to get to know you if you want to go out sometime." It was a strange feeling to have him address you right after seeing him onstage. It made you feel like someone important. You smiled, not being able to give any answer other than a resounding "Yes!"