Twelve

Monday

Frank and I caught the six o'clock bus back to Belleville that night. I got my stuff from his house, and then he walked me to my bus, because I insisted I didn't want him doing that big long walk again. He definitely argued back for a bit, but ultimately accepted it.

When I got home, there was one guy on my mind more than Frank. Diary Boy. I felt guilty, like I abandoned him for Frank. I cared about him for a couple of days and tried my hardest to find him, but then I just gave up on him.

I stared at myself in my vanity mirror, and I took myself in. I wanted to know what I looked like to other people. When they saw me
for the first time, what did they notice? I thought maybe it was my eyes, or the silver nose ring that adorned my left nostril. Those were the two things I received the most compliments on. My mind circled back to Marlowe, who seemed to receive compliments on every part of herself. Her makeup, her outfits, her eyes, her body. I lived in her shadow. She was so chatty and loud, but in a cute, ditsy way, where as I was chatty and loud in a laughable, un-pretty way.  I never liked girls who were jealous of their friends, but if you were best friends with Marlowe Price, maybe you'd get it too.

Speaking of the devil, my phone buzzes in my pocket, Marlowe's name flashing on the screen.

"Kit! I need your help, like right now."

I sigh, wondering what she's gotten herself in to this time.

"Go on, tell me."  I say, I'm sure she can hear that I'm frowning through the phone.

"Mikey. Way. Asked me to go for food with him!" She squeals, and a pang of happiness stings me sweetly in the chest. I felt happy for her.

"That's incredible! So, where's help needed? Outfit? Makeup?" I chew on the inside of my cheek absentmindedly, looking at myself in the mirror as I do so.

"No, no." Marlowe said. "You need to do me a big favour, you just have to do this one thing and I'll owe you for the rest of my life."

A billion possibilities ran through my head. Go water skiing with sharks? Sponge bathe her grandfather? Paint her house? Wash her feet? Something really shitty like that is what I imagined.

"Mikey kinda possibly maybe could've told me that his friend has a thing for you.. and he'd like you to come so you can do a double date thing.. And I possibly maybe kinda could've told him yes."

My mind reeled. "Marlowe, you didn't."

"I did. Please, Kit. You can't let me go alone. Mikey's friend is apparently really into you, and it could be so much fun. We can both have our own little romantic adventures."

"Romantic adventures?" I scoffed. "With a guy I've never met? Marlowe, this is insane."

"Kit, please. I'm begging you. Just give it a chance. If it sucks, we can bail early. But if it's great, then... who knows?"

I sighed deeply, knowing that Marlowe had a way of getting what she wanted. "Fine. I'll do it. But you seriously owe me. I need to get off work for this."

She squealed again. "Thank you, thank you! You're the best! I'll text you the details. Be ready by seven tomorrow night."

"Alright, alright," I said, rolling my eyes but smiling despite myself.

I placed my phone face down on my desk and reached over the nearby shelf to grab the Diary. And I read.

Dear Diary,
I think Marina moved away. I haven't heard from her, nor seen her in a weirdly long amount of time. I wonder if she's gone dormant, like a volcano, ready to erupt any day now. I can't even enjoy the peace of going without her, because it's unsettling. I want to just run away, can you imagine how incredible that would be? I would find mom and she'd say sorry for leaving and take me in. I can imagine it so clearly, I bet I look a lot like her because I look nothing like dad. It's on my bucket list of things to do, but I think I'd like some company for my getaway. I've considered Mikey, but he likes Jersey too much. Otherwise, I don't think I've found the person who I want to just get up and go with, so I think that's a sign that I'm not ready to leave yet. I'd leave when dad was drunk so he wouldn't notice. I've been plotting a more detailed plan since he caught me in Pennsylvania last time. I just need some more money, and I need to sneak out later this time, so I have a head start. He won't notice I'm gone till morning. Heck, he might not notice for the whole day knowing him.
All in all, it's on my roster, and this book will be coming with me when I go.
XOXO- Me.