FROM GOOD TO BETTER

The good thing about books with no sensitive subjects, is that they don't get shadowbanned.

The bad thing about books with no sensitive subjects, is that they're really fucking boring.

~

Our plane had landed four hours ago, and already I was thrilled to be on this trip. The weather was warm and inviting, and our rental car's AC was working perfectly. As we cruised along the road, a gentle breeze blew through the open windows, carrying with it the sweet scent of wildflowers and freshly cut grass.

June, always mindful of our comfort, had packed a cooler filled with refreshing drinks and snacks. We laughed and chatted animatedly as we drove, surrounded by the picturesque scenery of rolling hills and lush greenery.

"How much longer until we get there?" asked Kaitlyn.

"Not much longer," I replied cheerfully, glancing at the GPS. "Just a short eight hour drive away."

"And what a drive it is! Look at all the cars on this slightly congested yet well-engineered highway!" squealed Ana, her eyes sparkling with anticipation. "I can't wait for us to arrive at the retreat and soak in all the beauty and tranquility it has to offer."

"I heard they have the most amazing yoga platform overlooking a serene lake," added June, her face glowing with enthusiasm.

"And don't forget about the stunning hiking trails nearby," Kaitlyn chimed in. "And all the slightly-more-attractive-than-average guys!"

"Sounds like paradise," I said with a smile, feeling a sense of peace and contentment wash over me.

"Wouldn't it be fun to experience it all, Sarah?" said June with a bright smile, her eyes twinkling with excitement.

"Huh?"

"When was the last time you had a healthy platonic relationship, Sarah?" asked Kait, her tone playful but respectful.

"I'm uncomfortable sharing this kind of information," I replied softly, reaching under my seat to grab a pack of Doritos. "Please respect my boundaries."

"You know what?" said June, her voice filled with enthusiasm as she leaned forward to politely borrow my Doritos. "Let's make it our mission to ensure Sarah has an amazing time!"

"We're in luck," Kait chuckled, "I heard Latinos appreciate women of all shapes and sizes."

I nodded, feeling a surge of confidence. "I'm happy with who I am."

"We're going to have such a great time!" Kait said sincerely.

"Absolutely," June agreed, handing back the Dorito bag with a warm smile. "We're here to support each other and make memories that will last a lifetime."

With renewed spirits and a sense of camaraderie, we continued our journey, eager to embrace the adventures that awaited us.

The country looked just like the retreat's brochure. Jungles, turquoise rivers, spectacular waterfalls and colorful birds. This country had an idyllic and functional waste management system. And also many flowers. It was basically Costa Rica, without the unwashed tourists.

My life was perfect and I'd won this trip at a raffle organized by my emotional support group for people who have nothing to complain about in life and wish they did. My family was happy, I was waiting until marriage to find my first boyfriend, and my kitchen stove worked perfectly fine.

Ana carefully disassembled the comfortable silence as she pulled into a rustic, cottage-core gas station.

"Does anyone need to satisfy their biological needs such as defecating or silently retiring to a bathroom to discretely let out a small poofy fart?" she asked as she parked the car.