Chapter 1

I sat at the worn wooden table, carefully wrapping a freshly baked cake in parchment paper. I had made this cake to celebrate my mate bond with Alexander, my boyfriend. It was my birthday and it was the only way I felt I could celebrate it. The scent of vanilla and cinnamon filled the cozy room. I couldn't wait for him to taste it.

Being Alexander's mate wasn't surprising, we had been dating for over two years. I loved him so much and I could tell he felt the exact same way for me too.

Suddenly, the heavy thud of the front door interrupted my thoughts. I looked up, surprised, as my father entered, excitement written across his face.

"Cassandra," he began, his voice filled with enthusiasm, "I have made a decision that affects not just our pack but our entire kind. This decision would benefit us."

I watched him closely, my heart pounding in my chest. His tone suggested something significant.

"What is it, father?" I asked cautiously, wondering if he would talk about it or tell me nothing. I was unsure of what to expect.

He took a deep breath, his eyes locking onto mine with a huge smile on his face. "King Lucien has proposed a union between you and him. He wishes for you to become the Luna, his queen."

His words hit me like a cold wave crashing against the shore. King Lucien, the Alpha King, ruler of all werewolf packs in our realm—a man who was both feared and worshiped. He was also known as the Ruthless Alpha, whispered about in hushed tones among our kind. He was known for his ruthlessness and wickedness. The idea of marrying that monster was unthinkable.

About a year ago, his wife left him and ran. There was no news about her again. No one knew if she actually left him or if he just kept her hidden like he did to his slaves. Her name was Isabella. I was never agreeing to that proposal.

"Father," I replied firmly, trying to steady my voice, "you know what they say about King Lucien. He's the devil himself."

My father's expression darkened. "Cassandra, if you refuse this proposal, our pack will be plunged into a pool of blood. Lucien's reach is far, and he has made it clear that he desires this alliance. If you don't agree to him, he'll take you by force."

My mind raced. I had heard the tales—the tragedies and consequences that befell those who dared to defy the Alpha King. But I couldn't imagine being bound to him.

A few days ago, I passed by his palace to tend a woman's garden. He must have spotted me from his room and then instructed the guards to search for me. It was ridiculous, I had no intention of complying with his request. I was never going to be his Luna.

"I cannot marry him," I said firmly. "I... I love Alexander, Father."

My father's response was sharp, filled with disbelief and anger. "Alexander? The son of the Smith? Cassandra, you are being a fool. A reckless fool."

I held his gaze, silent yet sad. Quickly, I grabbed the tray of cake I had prepared, turned on my heels, and left the house.

The evening air was cool against my skin as I hurried towards Alexander's house. As I reached his door, my heart became filled with anxiety. I knocked, expecting his warm smile and reassuring presence but there was no answer.

I knocked again, louder this time, but still, there was no response. My fear mounted as I pushed the door—it swung open without resistance. It was unlocked. Why was his door unlocked? Alexander always made sure to keep his door closed at all times.

As I entered, I noticed his clothes scattered on the floor. Concerned, I picked them up and placed them neatly on the couch.

Then, I heard it—the soft, unmistakable sound of female moans coming from upstairs. My breath caught in my throat as I climbed the stairs, each step heavier than the last.

As I reached the door, the sounds grew louder, and my worst fears were confirmed.

With shaky hands, I opened the door and I wished I hadn't. The cake dropped from my hand, crashing onto the floor. For a second, I thought I was hallucinating, blinking repeatedly, hoping for the image to leave my head, but no, it didn.

There they were—Alexander and my sister, entwined in each other's arms, their faces filled with desire. Alexander was kissing my sister. His hands were wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer to him as she moaned repeatedly, lost in lust.

I stood frozen, my mind unable to understand what was going on. I couldn't comprehend the betrayal unfolding before my eyes. How could Lydia do this to me? How could my own sister betray me like this?

"Alexander..." I managed to utter, my voice barely a whisper.

He didn't seem to hear me. None of them seemed to hear me. They were both engrossed in what they were doing.

The agony and despair smoked my lungs, and for a moment, it felt like I couldn't breathe. Without thinking, I moved in an attempt to separate them, but it did nothing.

"Please stop... stop..." I stuttered, tears welling up.

He looked up, his eyes widening in shock. "Cassandra, it's not..."

My sister interrupted, her tone defiant. "We didn't think you'd come back so soon. Leave us, sister. My handsome mate is making love to me."

My heart almost jumped out of my body. What was she talking about? What did she mean by mate? No, she was wrong. I was Alexander's mate, she wasn't.

I looked at him, hoping he'd say something, but instead, he had his arms clutched around her waist. I couldn't believe what was happening. I had always known Lydia hated me but I didn't know she would betray me like this.

With tears in my eyes, I turned to him. "Alexander, tell me she's lying. Look into my eyes and tell me she's lying. I'm your mate. You're my boyfriend."

Lydia let out a loud chuckle. "Did you actually think a wolfless slut like you could get a mate? You're weak, sister. You'll never find a mate. Believe me!"

I shook my head and turned to look at him, refusing to believe what I just heard. "Tell me the truth, Alex. You love me, don't you?" I asked, my voice cracked with desperation, clinging to a thread of hope. My eyes were filled with so much tears that they were running down my cheeks, freely. I was helpless.

He avoided my eyes, his silence confirming my worst fears.

"Please, tell me you love me." I pleaded again, but his silence spoke volumes, shattering my heart into a million irreparable pieces.

There was no sympathy in his eyes. It was just full of anger and hatred for me. "I never loved you, Cassandra," he sneered in disgust as he pulled away from her and stood up to me. "Why would you even think I loved you from the start? I only used you to get your sister. You're useless to me now."

I felt the ground shift beneath me, disbelief warring with the devastating truth he just told me. "No, Alex... you can't mean that!" I stammered, my voice breaking as I clung desperately to his shirt.

"I, Alexander Belmont, of the Moonlight Pack, reject you, Cassandra Winston, as my mate. I'll never love you, Cassie."

My heart sank.