Chapter 2

Standing in the dressing room, the weight of the wedding dress felt suffocating. I traced my fingers along the lace, but the discomfort that settled over me ran deeper than fabric against my skin. It was the thought of marrying the cruel alpha king, Lucien, that made my stomach churn and my heart ache. I had never imagined that I'd be marrying such a cruel and ruthless man.

I glanced at myself in the mirror, adorned in white, but there was no joy in my reflection. The image of a forced smile covered my true feelings—dread, fear, and a longing to escape this fate. Marrying King Lucien was not even my choice, yet here I stood, trapped in a union I never wanted. If only it was possible to change fate.

Peeking out, I saw Alexander holding Lydia close, kissing her passionately. Tears welled up in my eyes, threatening to ruin my makeup. In that instant, I felt a mix of betrayal and heartache, realising that they never cared about me.

Father's voice pierced the air, his anger showing as he walked into the room. "Why the hell are you wasting time? Everyone's seated, you imbecile!"

I struggled to compose myself, hastily pulling on my veil. He grabbed my arm roughly, dragging me towards the ceremony.

As we approached the altar, he forced a smile onto my face. But inside, my thoughts were consumed by the uncertain future with the alpha king. Would he accept me or despise me?

Suddenly, King Lucien stood before me, removing my veil with a blank expression. I couldn't understand his thoughts—was I a disappointment or a blessing to him?

The minister's voice cut through my thoughts. "Do you, Cassandra Winston, take Lucien Blackblood to be your husband, till death do you part?" Silence hung heavy around me. I stole a glance at my impatient father. He was visibly angry.

Summoning all my strength, I finally uttered, "Yes."

The tension in the air was evident as the minister turned to King Lucien. "Do you, Lucien Blackblood, take her, Cassandra Winston, to be your wife?"

King Lucien's gaze met mine, his expression unreadable yet captivating. "Yes, I do."

As he spoke, I found myself mesmerized by his beautiful face. He was like an angel, though he lacked a smile on his face.

The ceremony took a startling turn when the minister cut into my palm to signify the mating bond. I winced as pain shot through me, and then watched in surprise as black blood oozed from King Lucien's palm. Was it his curse or his family trait? Why was his blood black?

We intertwined our bleeding palms, sealing our mate bond. I looked at him in the eyes, wondering what was going through his mind but I came up with nothing. He was just so unreadable that I wanted to fall down and kill myself.

The minister's voice echoed through the grand hall, announcing, "Ladies and gentlemen, it is my honor to present King Lucien Blackblood and his bride, Cassandra Winston, husband and wife!"

Applause filled the air, but beneath the surface, I felt a heavy sense of fear. Glancing at my father's overly delighted expression, I couldn't help but resent him. I hated him so much. How could he watch me in pain and do nothing? How was he even my father if he was going to hate me throughout my life?

As the room quieted down, the minister proceeded, "You may now kiss the bride, King Lucien."

But before I could anticipate his kiss, Lucien's response was chillingly abrupt.