ONE

20 years later. 2020. San Diego, Calif. Naval Air Station, North Island.

Lieutenant Commander Delilah 'Songbird' Mitchell glides through the air in her F-18. She listens in on her students arguing about which direction she went after disappearing from their sight, not realizing she was right below them. She softly chuckles at their frustrations.

"How could you lose her?" One of the male pilots shouts.

"It's not like you kept a very good eye on her either." The other shouts.

"If you ladies are done bickering," Delilah starts slowing down and flying up behind them to lock in her missile at the jet on the left. "I believe that's a kill."

"What the fuck?" The left jet's pilot screams as the right jet takes off, trying to loop around Delilah until he's chasing her. She gives him some false hope of catching her before she slows down immensely, allowing the jet to fly by her as she locks on.

"That's another, return to base boys." She hears their frustrated yells as they return to the tarmac, she follows behind, landing not long after.

" She hears their frustrated yells as they return to the tarmac, she follows behind, landing not long after

"Okay, Songbird, that has to be some of the best flying I've seen from you in ages." Delilah laughs as her best friend runs up to her.

"Please Minx, it wasn't even that cool, the kids just made it too easy." She laughs, walking up towards the hanger.

"Psshh, stop being so humble and take the compliment." Lieutenant Grace "Minx" Andrews laughs. "Hey a couple of us are going out to dinner tonight for Jaws' engagement, you coming?"

"Can't, have to get my plans on Cyclone's desk by the end of the night."

"I can't believe he makes you do that." Minx groans as they enter the locker room.

"That's what happens when your Dad is Maverick and he fucked up royally as an instructor." Delilah sighs, tossing her helmet on top of her locker before hoping in the shower and getting dressed in her uniform. "I'll see you tomorrow Minx!" She calls before exiting the locker room only to run into West Side.

"Ah Lieutenant Commander Mitchell, I was just looking for you." He says, obviously out of breath with how quickly he was running through the halls.

"Please, the formalities? What's up?" Delilah asks.

"Cyclone wants you in the conference room."

"Oh. Okay, I'll head right there." Delilah nods at her friend before walking down the hallway. "Why would Cyclone call for me now? He knows as well as anyone I just got out of the air. Plus I still have 3 hours until my folder is due", she thinks to herself. She stops outside the door to the conference room. "Please don't fire me. Please don't fire me." She mutters as she knocks on the door.

"Enter." Admiral Beau "Cyclone" Simpson calls. Delilah opens the door and immediately makes eye contact with him. "Have a seat Lieutenant Commander." Delilah sits at the chair furthest from Cyclone. "While we're waiting for Captain Mitchell, I have a few things to discuss with you."