just a little wager, nothing else

Why do vampires sleep in coffins?

CHAPTER 1

Tony had taken it upon himself to make sure everything was perfect for when Rudolph arrived. Like, sleeping during the day and being awake throughout the night for two days straight before he would come; just so he could get out of the habit of waking up early in the morning to begin his usual days. And also sorting out the Thompsons spare room. He didn't have a coffin for his best friend to sleep in, but he knew that it was ok because Rudy wouldn't complain- as long as he was out of the sun. Or at least he hoped it was ok, if it wasn't he wouldn't hesitate to find something at least coffin-like for him. He would do anything to make certain he was comfortable. Anything.

And finally, the day had arrived. Or the night if you wanted to be technical, where his plane had touched ground (Rudy took one during the night so he could avoid the lethal sunlight that could have killed him, lest he was so slow on his journey through the night) and Tony was now standing just outside the terminal gates with a giant sign reading the used to be little vampire's name.

Tony didn't recognise Rudolph when he first exited the terminal, lost in the crowd of 'mortals', but when he made his way apart from the crowd it was all Tony could do to keep his jaw tight and up and not drop the makeshift cardboard sign.

Rudy had grown . Of course, Tony knew this already. They spoke about this in letters, and even once when Tony turned fifteen Rudolph had sent a letter with a picture (because vampires can't turn up in mirrors but can turn up in a film, as Manny had discovered), as a 'birthday present' and it was true. However, as Rudy strutted mock-confidently to Tony, hauling a ratty old trunk with one arm, sunglasses pulled down to hide his eyes and to stop the bright airport lights, Tony would have barely recognised him. But he did, his slightly grey skin tone was a dead giveaway. The blond human swallowed hard as Rudolph... just Rudolph.

"Tony!" The vampire suddenly dropped his trunk and bounded forward a few steps, meeting Tony in the middle and they both hugged each other tightly as if to never let each other go. Rudolph was taller than Tony by at least ten inches and his arms were long, but not with any extra muscle on them. He remained sort of lanky.

"Rudy," Tony whispered, more to himself in disbelief than back to his best friend. Then the vampire let him go and slightly pulled up his sunglasses, to get a proper look at him. He winced slightly because of the lights and Tony laughed slightly at the way he looked like he had saltwater flicked into his eyes. "This is so weird, it feels like you're a completely different person."

The vampire smirked and dropped his sunglasses again. "I could say the same about you, you know, still feels like I saw you only yesterday though."

Tony rolled his eyes and reached behind the vampire and grabbed the trunks handle. Hefting it up, it felt heavier than it looked and he gave Rudolph a scrutinizing look. "What's in here?"

"Oh, you know, the usual," he told him as they began to make their way to the car park. Rudolph kind of loitering slightly behind Tony, because he wasn't sure where they were headed. "Clothes, boots, couple gallons of cow's blood and sunscreen."

The exit came into sight and Tony tutted. "Yeah, I know. The moon's rays are particularly strong around this time of year." He chuckled a little at Rudolph raising an eyebrow and shuffling him a little on the shoulder.

"Oi, I'm being serious," he told him. "For someone with a delicate palette like mine, I cannot afford to get moon burnt." They exited the airport, Rudolph pulling his sunglasses up, and walked through a couple of tunnels, making their way to the section of the car park that Tony had left his mom and dad's old and battered Beatle. Once they pulled out of the space, Rudolph was already beginning to fiddle with the radio, which was currently static.