Chapter One: It's Marie

I sit quietly, gazing out the window of the school bus. The cozy weather feels like a warm blanket, and the wind gently blows my hair. The world outside looks like a painting, with leaves dancing in the breeze. I lose myself in the scenery, forgetting about the chaos around me.

The bus jerks to a stop, snapping me back to reality. I gather my things and step off, feeling a mix of excitement and anxiety. School isn't easy for me. I want to participate in things, but fear always holds me back.

"Hey, Marie!" a familiar voice calls out.

I turn to see my best friend, Jane, smiling widely as she approaches. We've been friends forever, and she always knows how to make me feel better.

"Hey, Jane," I respond, my voice soft as usual.

"How are you? It's been a while!" Jane says, giving me a quick hug.

"Same as always," I reply with a small smile.

Walking into the school, I feel a wave of loneliness wash over me. My voice is slow and quiet, and people often make fun of me for it. It makes me insecure, but I can't seem to change it. The bell rings, and the hallways fill with students rushing to their classes.

As I walk to my classroom, my eyes meet someone else's. It's him—my first crush. He's tall with brown hair and small eyes that give him an Asian look. He's actually half Asian and half American. And here's the twist: He's Jane's brother. His name is Min.

As I pass by, Min teases me by lifting my bag off my shoulder. "Hey, shorty," he grins, swinging my bag playfully.

I groan, trying to act annoyed. "Min, give it back!"

He laughs and hands it back, our fingers brushing for a brief moment. My heart races, and I can't help but smile, even though I pretend to be mad. I love these little interactions, even if they mean nothing to him.

The day drags on, and by the time I get home, I'm exhausted. I lay down on my bed, a smile creeping onto my face as I thought about him. I start singing Taylor Swift's "Gorgeous" and open my journal. Writing about my crush helps me deal with my feelings, even though I know he doesn't feel the same way.

"He doesn't see me like I want him to," I write. "To him, I'm just his sister's friend. But I can't help dreaming."

I close my journal and hug it to my chest, hoping that one day things will change. For now, I'll just keep dreaming.

 For now, I'll just keep dreaming