The Core

The void

"I can't be dead!" Rhaegon spat.

"Well, you are, and yelling won't change that." The man said.

"Who are you?!" Rhaegon demanded.

"I've been called many names by many faiths, for now just call me 'Moribund'." He said.

"Near death? Of all the names you could've chosen, that's the name you go with?" Rhaegon asked.

"Well, it's the closest I could go with." Moribund said.

"I still don't believe that I'm dead. I refuse to believe this." Rhaegon spat.

"Oh for fuck sake!" Moribund pushed Rhaegon and he fell down into a river.

Just then Rhaegons eyes shot open.

3 weeks ago

Stepstones

"You shouldn't be here." Daemon said.

"I have to be here." Rhaegon said.

"This isn't a game, Rhaegon." Daemon said.

"I'm not playing games, uncle." Rhaegon said.

"Very well. Just don't get killed." Daemon said.

The void

Rhaegon was still in the water and he started to remember more.

Stepstones

"What's your name?" Rhaegon asked.

"Edric, my prince. I'm from the Vale." Edric said.

"How old are you?" Rhaegon asked.

"Five and ten, my prince." Edric said.

"You shouldn't be fighting." Rhaegon said.

"Forgive me, my prince, but I have to fight. I'm only seen as a bastard and if I make a name for myself, my family will thrive. My mother, brother and sister will have something to their name as well." Edric said.

Rhaegon sighed. He admired this boy's need to fight for others. "Very well. Just make sure you don't leave my side."

"Yes, my prince." Edric said.

The void

Rhaegon was still under water and this time he was struggling to breathe

Stepstones

Rhaegon and his troops had gone to face the Crabfeeder after they attacked the Celtigar and Driftmark soldiers. Rhaegon thought it would be best to force the Triarchy out of the caves, unfortunately Craghas Drahar had ambushed the troops and killed them all. Rhaegon was badly wounded and when he looked to his right, he saw Edric who had his hand removed.

"You thought that sneaking up on me would work, boy?" Craghas Drahar asked.

"E...Edric?" Rhaegon called out.

"I'm...I'm alr...alright, my prince." Edric said, but Rhaegon could see that the boy was scared.

"Craghas, it's me you want to kill. Spare the boy." Rhaegon tried to reason. The Crabfeeder walked to Rhaegon and the crown prince looked at his mask. Craghas Drahar then smirked at Rhaegon. He then slowly walked to Edric. Rhaegon looked at the frightened boy. "Edric...Edric look at me. Edric looked at Rhaegon. Don't be afraid." Craghas Drahar mercilessly beat Edric's head with his hammer until he died. Rhaegon shed a tear of anger and looked at Craghas Drahar. "You had better kill me now Drahar. If you don't, I won't stop until you're dead."