SS.5 - A Capable Leader (Kanzaki)

(December 25th)

"It'll probably snow soon," I murmured as I looked at the clouds circling above Keyaki Mall.

The snow was an excellent representation of Class B.

Pure and clean while it dances in the air. But as it falls and reaches the earth, any form of heat easily causes its demise.

Class B was supposed to be a strong contender for Class A since the beginning of the year.

A fundamentally well-rounded class in academics and sports. And one major factor that separated us from the other classes was our camaraderie.

While we may not have heavy specialist hitters like Sudo, Ryuuen, or Sakayanagi.

Or a dark horse like Kouenji.

Our class can be the best.

Unlike the other classes, with civil disputes and troublemakers. Our class bonded quickly and formed a deep trust with each other early on.

I couldn't help but feel that while Class B is the strongest contender for Class A currently. We've already started to fall behind all the other classes.

I see hints and flashes of our demise. And it's only halfway through the first year.

This may just be my pessimistic side of me, but it may not end well for us.

Class B, as a whole, is far too optimistic and not realistic enough.

Once upon entering this school and learning how it operates. There was never a guaranteed happy ending for everyone.

But I doubt the rest of Class B can accept that. They place all their worth and values into the bonds they've developed with each other.

Which in of itself, isn't wrong. But because Class B cares too much for the other students in the same year, they are unwilling to get dirty and cut some ties off.

Everything must be done prim and proper with Class B.

I can see it in their eyes during special exams, no one seems willing to fight for Class A by any means possible.

And that's why I believe Class B might start to slide down the ranks.

Every other class, from Ryuuen and Sakayanagi, are willing to bend or break the rules to try and achieve their victory. They seem to be willing to uproot relationships and use underhanded methods to totally dominate their opponents.

Even Class D. While they seem to be the better of the two other classes. Their leader, Fukumoto, utilizes each and every skill of the individuals at their disposal to win. He will even be willing to take a temporary loss to get a long-term win.

He's always adapting and plotting to achieve his victory like the others.

But not Class B.

And I have to attribute Class B's ideals to the influence of Ichinose.

Ichinose is a valuable asset to Class B and is one of the best students in our year with her capabilities.

But her passive view of conflict and unwillingness to bend to the rules to fight has spread like cancer to the rest of the class.

Her skills alone could keep us in contention with the other classes, but she refuses to use them in a way that may hurt others, which hems our class's full ability.

We've only succeeded so far because of the help of others.

Our class seems to be moving toward a hive-mind of Ichinose worshippers instead of thinking for themselves so they don't have a guilty conscious if things go south.