PROLOGUE

'So this is how it ends. How pathetic. Looking back, I was not able to achieve anything. I wanted to be the strongest, protect my friends and create a world where people and pokemon can live together in harmony. Well, I did fulfill my second and third wish, albeit I will never be able to confirm that. Maybe, just maybe, my life was not so worthless after all.' The new world champion reminisces. A massive figure with six arms stands in front of him, raising its hands, ready to deal the final blow.

'Oh how I wish my life would have been a little different, how I wish that day could be rewritten, how I wish everyone would be there with me. But oh well, it is what it is.' The champion thinks one last time before looking to his side towards a certain platinum blonde haired girl.

He looks at her affectionately, flashing a smile and says, "I love you....... Lillie". No sooner did he say that than those gigantic hands came crashing down on him, leaving the said girl wide eyed, crying and shouting his name in pain and grief.

4 YEARS AGO:

A Sixteen year old Ash Ketchum is seen punching the ground. He just lost the finals of the Alola League to his newest rival, Gladion. He could hear the whole stadium cheering for Gladion... However the cheering seemed to fade to Ash as he knelt to the ground crying. This was his 7th loss. All the pain and training he went through and still, it was insufficient. Gladion walked across the battleground to Ash and held his hand out to him. Seeing this, Ash quickly rubbed his eyes and took Gladion's hand. He stood up and with a big smile congratulated him, "Congratulations Gladion, the first Alola Champion."

Given the circumstances, even someone as stoic as Gladion would at least smile if not laugh out loud. But here he was, standing as if some crime had taken place in front of him. Ash, finding this to be quite amusing asked Gladion, "Why the long face Gladion ? Now don't tell me that you do not want to be the Champion."

Gladion sighed as if he was heavily disappointed. "I am sorry Ash. But know this, I, Lillie and everyone at the Aether Foundation will be by your side no matter what happens. We will be leaving in search of father as soon as the ceremony ends, so we can not be there for you but please believe me, we believe in you and are with you whenever you will need us. The coming times are dire, very dire for you. Good luck Ash, you will need it." Ash was just standing there not understanding anything that Gladion was saying. He had a great many questions to ask Gladion about this but he managed to refrain himself. He would find out sooner or later anyways, so why worry now. And, whatever was going to happen, with the ultrabeasts now gone and Team Rocket not acting up nowadays, it couldn't be that bad, could it ?

"And also, Lillie wishes to see you once before we depart. Do drop by our house after the ceremony." Gladion said while turning away, this time with a small smile on his face before walking away. Ash, not being able to wrap his head around Gladion's sudden mood shifts shrugged it off, making a mental note to drop by the household to bid Lillie farewell.

Over the course of his journey throughout Alola, Lillie had an impact on Ash, a positive impact. Ash often found himself thinking about her more and more when he was alone. He liked her presence more than anyone else's and having her around would always lift his mood, no matter when. The way Lillie depended on him, it gave him a lot of happiness. Sometimes, seeing the bold and brave side of her when she fought against the ultra beasts, he found himself admiring her strength. He didn't understand why he felt like this about Lillie but, he felt good.

He later met up with Principal Oak who congratulated Ash for coming second in the tournament. He then informed Ash that his mother had already left for Kanto and that Professor Oak stayed behind and would return with Ash. This piece of information for some reason gave Ash a really, really bad feeling. He could sense that something big was going to happen, for him at least, and it was anything but good. For some reason, it gave him the creeps. Bidding the principal goodbye he headed for the ceremony.