Chapter 15. A Damsel in Distress

Kathryn stared at the sword in her hands, its cold steel reflecting Wen Zhi Ji's dark eyes better than the bronze mirror in her mansion's bedroom. The sword was the weapon of choice in the Three Planes Sect, but she did not know the first thing about wielding one. Her meditation and cultivation had produced some results, but Wen Zhi Ji's powers remained elusive. Without them, the soul-swapping technique was still out of reach.

Days had passed, and Kathryn had found no trace of the dragon lake with the red cliff. It was clear she would have to stay in this fantasy world far longer than she had hoped, and she could not afford to be unprepared if they involved her in another fight against demons.

The thought of relying on sword techniques in a battle filled her with unease. Of course, she would not become a master swordsman overnight, but she needed at least to look the part. Wen Zhi Ji's sword had obeyed her during the first demon fight without her consciously doing anything but trying to protect herself. It was reasonable to assume that the weapon reacted to her internal impulses. She should be able to reproduce the desirable effect.

Remembering how Wang Xiaobo had run his fingers along the blade as if pouring his energy into it, Kathryn imitated his gesture, while at the same trying to conjure up the correct mental picture in her mind's eye.

It worked like a charm. The sword made a soft sound and started glowing with white light, just like during the demon hunt. It did not feel too heavy, but Kathryn still took it in both hands and made an attacking gesture, slashing forward in the same way actors did during sword fights in period movies.

A wave of light rushed outwards, and an enormous boulder, standing innocently to the side of the grove, snapped in two. The ground below also split, showing a deep cut.

"Wow! Did I do this? It should work against demons well if I direct the waves correctly," Kathryn thought, stunned at the strength of the magical hit. "Brother Mu was right about my attack against the snake demon being weak."

Kathryn decided not to destroy any more of the landscape, imagining how the surrounding trees would be snapping and falling over her head. The plan now was to train the slashing and stabbing motions, hoping to look somewhat natural during a fight before resorting to the powerful energy-based attack. Wen Zhi Ji had a muscular body, and Kathryn felt reassured that holding the sword in one hand would not be a problem.

Following the first successful attempt, Kathryn incorporated sword training into her daily routine, together with the obligatory study of cultivation manuals and mediation practice. The library did not have many treatises on sword techniques, and Kathryn often visited the Martial Arts Court to observe their sword training sessions. It caused quite a stir since Wen Zhi Ji was a rare guest outside his Library Court grounds.

After reading the books and watching disciples train their sword skills, she would go to a grove nestled between the manor and the distant hills. She did not want to be disturbed, and the secluded spot, encircled by grassy fields, gave her a clear view of anyone approaching from the estate.

When returning after her training sessions in the grove, Kathryn would often head towards the waterfall to admire the view. Members of the Three Planes Sect cultivated all around it, not only on the top but also on the lower tiers, right among the streams.

A few small islands surrounded by water were also popular. The cultivators rarely walked to their favorite locations inside the waterfall area. Instead, they would float there in the same way Brother Mu and Kui had done when clearing the fence around the merchant's manor in Liujiang.

There were a few streams to be crossed on the way back from the waterfall to the manor, and since Kathryn did not know how to float over them, she had to employ other options. She either waded into the water, her boots being quite good for any cross-country adventure, or headed to a place with stepping stones.