Chapter 24. Subtle Diplomacy

The magistrate did not receive them in the grand Reception Hall where they had applied during their first visit. The message in the box stated that because of the ongoing mourning period, Xu Chunyu would rather meet them in a less official setting in his residence.

Their arrival at the grand entrance of the main house did not surprise anyone. Whether it was the official uniform with the sect logo or their distinct appearance, people identified them as cultivators wherever they went.

A solemn-looking servant dressed in a dark grey robe led them through a series of halls and inner courtyards to the tastefully decorated but relatively modest room. Elegant chairs with curved backrests were arranged around a simple rectangular table. A porcelain tea set rested on the lacquered tabletop, though it was clear that no one had touched the tea.

As Kathryn and her companions entered the room, they found Magistrate Xu seated at a low table on a raised platform. His pale and slightly gaunt face matched the dark tones of his deep blue robe. The subtle embroidery along the edges of the cuffs and collar did nothing to lighten his sombre appearance, but, quite the opposite, added to the general air of dignified authority exuded by his austere demeanour.

The magistrate was not alone. Chief Investigator Zhuang stood beside him, focusing on the spread of zigzag-folded documents on the table, all showing neat characters and official seals in red ink. Upon noticing the cultivators, he quickly gathered his papers and, giving Kathryn a respectful nod, took a seat at a low table beside the magistrate, placing the documents carefully on its surface.

The unexpected presence of Zhuang Xian took the cultivators by surprise. Katheryn tensed as soon as she saw his sour expression and glanced at Brother Mu, whose face momentarily flashed with annoyance. Even now, during a meeting with an important official, Yongzheng struggled to hide his disdain, which seeped through despite his efforts to maintain decorum.

"Looks like this man never forgives someone who had not shown him enough respect. I need to be more careful around Bother Mu. It's pure luck that my position in the sect is higher than his. I can only guess what he would have done to me after that Rippling Ceremony if he could." She chased away the inopportune thought. Now was not the time to think about Mu Yongzheng and his stances.

Kathryn inclined her head respectfully and hurriedly voiced the words she had rehearsed in her mind while walking towards the yamen. "Greetings, Magistrate Xu. Allows us to extend our deepest condolences for your loss during this difficult time."

To Kathryn's ears, these words sounded pretentious. She would have never attempted to phrase things like that in real life; but here everyone talked in this grandiloquent fashion, especially on formal occasions. Mu Yongzheng and Wang Xiaobo echoed her sentiment with respectful bows.

Xu Chunyu nodded in response, asked Kathryn to introduce her companions, and invited them to sit at the central table. An attendant quietly filled their cups with tea, so swiftly and noiselessly that Kathryn, engrossed in the unfamiliar task of engaging with an official from a different time and place, barely noticed this part of the ceremony.

The magistrate's voice was steady but somewhat weak, as if he had not yet overcome the blow dealt to him by the cruel fate. "Thank you, Master Wen, for your words of comfort and a swift reply to my request for help. These are indeed very hard times for us, and your arrival gives me hope that things will soon get better."

The magistrate made a pause, his gaze drifting towards the paper-panelled windows. Despite herself, Kathryn sent a sideways glance at Chief Investigator Zhuang—to check his resentful mien. To her surprise, Zhuang was looking right at her, his face impassive and unreadable. Catching Kathryn's eye, he immediately looked down and started fingering the topmost document with excessive attention.