poolside party

Kevin, the guy I invited for the party, trails his fingertips up my thighs and to my side. I pull him closer by his shoulder to keep our lips connected, the pool chair squeaking under our weight.

"Looks like Sunny is getting wet," Tommy jokes. "Maybe Carol should, too."

"What the hell do you-!" Carol is cut off as Tommy picks her up, hovering her over the pool. "Stop it, Tommy!"

I break from the kiss to look over at the couple, laughing as Carol tries to wrap her limbs around Tommy.

"One.. Two.." Tommy counts.

"No!" Carol cries, pushing him back enough to get on her two feet. "You're such an asshole!"

A droplet of liquid falls in my hair and I startle, looking up to see Steve shotgunning a beer directly above Kevin and me.

"Steve!" I protest, pushing Kevin away to get out of Steve's splash zone. "I told you about that horse piss!"

I wipe the beer off my arm and make a disgusted face.

"You got my cigs?" Steve asks.

I pull the pack out of my pocket, handing them over with my thumb and middle finger, making sure that he knows I'm flipping him off. He plops down in the chair beside Nancy.

I stand up straight and hold my hand out to Kevin. "Come on."

"Where are you going?" Steve asks as Kevin and I walk inside.

"To see who can jump the highest on the bed," Tommy jokes. "Come on, what the hell do you think they're doing?"

--

The next day at school, I picked at my food and sighed, bored.

"Hey, Sun," Kevin greets, walking over with his lunch tray.

"Can I help you?" I ask.

Carol snickers as I look up at Kevin.

"I just.. well, I stopped by this morning to pick you up for school. But, you already left," he explains.

"Why were you at my house?" I question, making a face.

"Well.. I thought.."

I scoff and place my elbows on the table. "You thought wrong. Now.. go away."

Kevin looks at Steve, Carol, and Tommy. He sighs and shuffles away with his head down.

"Cold as ice," Tommy teases.

"Small as a piss ant," I return. "Hawkins' guys gotta learn to put up or shut up."

"And what is your limit of 'put up'?" Steve wonders.

"If it's shorter than my toothbrush- don't even offer," I explain.

"At least a toothbrush can make you gag," Carol adds.

"Not like you have that problem, huh?" Tommy teases his girlfriend.

"Only because I taught you to use it right."

"Damn," Steve says with a laugh.

"And you say that I'm cold as ice," I muse.

"Speaking of cold," Carol says, pulling her leg up onto the table. "I think I got frostbite."

"Ew," I say, making a face at the scab on her ankle.

"It's a heated pool," Tommy reminds.

Nancy makes her way over with her lunch tray. She sits on the other side of Steve quietly.

"Don't care what it is- it's disgusting. Get it off the table, we're eating here," Steve complains.

Carol relents and puts her foot back on the floor, under the table.

"Tommy," I call, pushing my tray to him.

"Don't want it?" he makes sure.

"Can't tell what it even is," I say, making a face again. "It's like a cursed bibimbap. That thing's gonna come to life in a second."

"All the more protein," Tommy jokes, scooting both his and my tray to be side by side.

"Here, Sunny," Steve says, handing me his pudding. "Eat something."

"American food is getting exhausting," I complain, digging into the pudding. "Same thing over and over.. more and more grease each time."

"'Murica, fuck yeah!" Tommy cheers.

I chuckle and take a bite of the pudding.

"Hey, Tommy," Nancy calls. "When you left, did you see Barb?"

"Who's that?" I wonder.

"Barbara," Nancy explains. "She's not here today."

Tommy looks over at me and I shrug. 

"Don't be assholes," Steve scolds.

"I don't know a Barbara," I deny, licking the spoon clean.

"She was at the party last night," Nancy adds.

"Sun wouldn't remember. She was drunk off her ass and nose deep in Kevin's pubes," Tommy teases.

I flip him off and Carol giggles.

"Tommy, seriously," Steve urges. "Did you see her leave last night, or not?"

"No," Tommy says. "She was gone when we left."

"Probably couldn't stand listening to all that moaning," Carol recalls.

I nudge Steve's arm. "Sure wasn't me with little-dick."

"Tommy came too fast," Carol adds. "So, it was probably.. oh.. oh, Steve!"

She breaks into exaggerated moans. Tommy laughs, hitting the table and groaning.

I poke at the pudding, that boredom coming back.

𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓇 𝓇𝒶𝓂𝒷𝓁𝑒𝓈--

sun is in fact the main character and a mean bitch i love her