Chapter 19: Daycare Kidnapping

Around 8 years ago

Location: Cabrera Apartment

Time: 8pm

In the quiet of the night, a soft cry pierced the stillness, pulling Gregory from the depths of sleep. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he rose from his bed, the moonlight spilling through the window guiding his steps to the crib where his baby sister, Luna, lay stirring.

Gently lifting her into his arms, Gregory rocked her back and forth, whispering soothing words as he wiped away the tiny tears that dampened her cheeks. His voice, tender and calm, began to hum a lullaby, filling the room with a melody that seemed to wrap around them like a warm blanket.

As Luna's cries subsided, replaced by the rhythmic breathing of sleep, Gregory carefully placed her back in the crib, tucking the blanket around her with all the care in the world. It was then he noticed the silhouette in the doorway, a soft light framing the figure of their mother.

She entered the room, a gentle smile on her face as she observed the scene. "You're a very good father, Gregory," she said, her voice filled with warmth and pride.

Gregory blushed at the compliment, a bashful smile creeping onto his face. "I'm not sure about that. I don't even think I want to be a father," he confessed, his thoughts drifting to the darker memories of his past life—a life tainted by violence and abuse.

His mother stepped closer, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "What happened before won't happen again. You're not him, Gregory. You have so much love and patience in your heart. Look at how Luna responds to you," she reassured him, her eyes conveying a belief in his goodness that was unshakeable.

Gregory looked down at Luna, now peacefully asleep, a serene expression on her tiny face. In that moment, any doubts about his ability to break the cycle of his past seemed to fade away. His mother's faith in him felt like a beacon, guiding him towards a future where he could be someone Luna and anyone else in his life could rely on.

"Thank you, Mum. That means a lot," Gregory whispered, his voice barely audible in the quiet of the room.

His mother smiled, squeezing his shoulder gently before stepping back. "Get some rest, Gregory. You're going to need your strength," she said with a knowing glance.

As she left the room, Gregory took one last look at Luna, a newfound resolve settling in his heart. Perhaps he could be different. Perhaps he could be the guardian Luna deserved, someone who could offer love and protection without the shadow of his past looming over them.

With that thought, Gregory returned to his bed, the weight of his mother's words a comforting presence in the dark. He drifted off to sleep, not as the shadow of a man he feared.

In the waning hours of the night, the Amusement Park had shed its lively daytime facade, morphing into a sprawling labyrinth of shadows and eerie silence. Pete, Devon, and Mick, emboldened by their own bravado, sauntered through the deserted park, mocking the mechanical laughter that occasionally echoed from the dormant attractions.

Their laughter halted abruptly when Mick felt an unseen force collide with him, his wallet seemingly vanishing into the void. Fueled by anger and a hint of fear, Mick darted off in pursuit of the thief, his footsteps echoing ominously through the empty paths, his friends trailing behind.

However, the two of them soon lost sight of him.

"No way! Where did he go?" Pete looked back and forth for any sign of his friend.