Chapter 4

Two things that I will never understand. First, the concept of pouring milk into a bowl before the cereal. And second, the reason behind my dad's decision to leave my mom.

  It's quite ironic, really. My parents never had a single disagreement before my dad decided to leave. They were always so happy, constantly showing their unwavering love for me and for each other. They never missed any of my soccer games or piano recitals, and despite not being wealthy, we always had an abundance of presents during Christmas and on my birthday. We used to have these wonderful family reunions that were filled with laughter and joy. Whether it was family game night or movie nights, we always had a blast. But despite all this, there were still never any signs that they didn't want to be together. Yet, being the perfect family wasn't enough. Not even for my dad.

  It has been five years since I left home to go to college, and during this time, I have not had any contact with my family. There are moments when I contemplate reaching out to my mother to ask about her well-being, but I always find myself hesitating. I had hoped that she would have reached out to me by now, but I cannot shake off the constant worry about whether she is still alive or not. Perhaps the absence of no one being at home to stop Stan from hitting her makes me think so. Maybe Stan is the reason why I have been avoiding talking to her. However, I refuse to shoulder the blame for this situation. After all, it was she who allowed him into her life, and now it is her responsibility to deal with the consequences. Moreover, even if I were to make that call, there is no guarantee that she would even answer. When Stan would be in one of his fits at home he would exert complete control over her, forbidding her from speaking to anyone, including her friends. Unfortunately, I fear that she is still under his influence and lets him do whatever he wants.

  After locking up the restaurant for the night, Chloe hopped into my car, and we drove to our apartment, which is just a short distance away. Chole, with a hint of excitement in her voice, asked, "So, what's the plan for tonight?" She began dancing in her seat.

  "Um, what do you mean, what is the plan for tonight? I'm going home, eating my dinner, and then going to sleep in my bed."

  Chloe huffed "So boring! I want to go out and have fun. You never go out with me. Are you scared to be seen with me in public? Am I just your work buddy?" she threw her hands up in the air.

  Rolling my eyes, I replied, "Oh, come on, Chole! We're more than just work buddies. And we do stuff together like go shopping and eat out from time to time."

  "You know dang well that is not the type of going out that I am talking about. I mean, going out should be all about dressing up, having fun, and maybe even meeting some cute guys along the way!"

  "Yeah but leftovers from the kitchen are always so good, and you know it. Plus it's free." I said as I pulled into the parking lot.

  "I know, I know," Chole said with a smirk. "But sometimes it feels like all we do is work and eat leftovers. We need to spice things up a bit! We are young sexy baddies that are lacking male attention." She puckered her lips and blew me a playful kiss..

  I stepped out of the car, and opened the back seat door to get my box of food. "See!" Chloe exclaimed, pointing at the box. "Come on, Lay. Pretty please." She twirled around in anticipation. "And as a thank you for joining me, we can do something that you've been dying to do."

  I couldn't bring myself to bail on her once more. She's asked me every Friday in the past two months and I've always said no. "Alright, I'll go. But just so you know, I'm not wearing those skimpy outfits you're so fond of."

  "Relax, I've got something perfect for you in my closet," she chirped, taking my hand and leading me inside in a hurry. I highly doubt she has anything that meets my standards, but I suppose I can give it a shot.