Kite

I yawn. Hugo slaps my back.

"Come on, wake up! It's nearly our turn!" He says.

I do as he says, and focus on what the headteacher, Miss Morris, is saying. I yawn again. I had to wake up early, for a big meeting in the hall, where every Y11 pupil received their partner, for the 2 month project. Since the group I was in was Group 5, every pupil in my group, as well as me, had to wait.

Finally, Miss Morris announces, "And now, we move onto Group 5!" From my angle, I watch Dove, seated 4 rows in front of me, straighten her back. She's excited for this. It's obvious.

One by one, Miss Morris reads out names of people I know and don't know. Hugo and Cole are working together, Leo is with another guy he's friends with, and Rocky is working with Alina. When he hears this, I watch his face light up, and I smirk at him.

"Shut up." He says, not even needing to look at me.

I snort. "Whatever you say."

To no surprise, I end up in the last 4 pupils. I sigh, and then open my mouth in shock. The other 3 people are Dove, her blonde friend and Maya.

Great. I had to spend time with one of her friends for the next two months. Just my luck.

"Final two pairs. One of them is Lola and Maya-"

No.

There's a ringing in my ears. I go deaf; I can't hear anything. Rocky is staring at me.

"What the heck?" I whisper, coming back to my senses.

I watch as Dove stands up, clearly upset. She storms out of her row and exits the hall, wiping her face angrily.

Miss Morris coughs nervously. "-And the other pair is Dove and Kite."

There's an awkward silence. I'm still in shock. This was a set-up. It had to be. Please, someone just tell me it was a joke. Please.

Miss Morris coughs again. Not a joke.

I put my head in my hands. Why? Just why did this have to happen? How was this fair? What was this school doing?

I lift my head back up. Miss Morris is staring directly at me. I make sure she understands the message in my eyes.

She coughs for the third time. "Your project will be to create a 45 minute presentation on a major world problem. You will need to have 3 different types of lessons in there: creative, humanity, and then whatever else you wish. You have 2 months. When the deadline arrives, over the course of 2 weeks, you will present your work, and then receive your marks at beginning of March. Your project begins now."

I death-stare Miss Morris as she exits the hall. Yeah, 2 months with Dove West was amazing.

I angrily stare at the floor as me and my friends file out of the hall as well. Outside the doors are Alina, Lola and Maya. Dove is nowhere to be seen.

"Kite." Alina says sharply.

"What." I say blankly. I'm not in the mood.

"Alina-" Rocky warns, staring at her, not in an unkind way. He was really obsessed.

"You probably know Dove hates this. I hate it too. If you hurt her in anyway, watch what happened to you Kite Maddox." Alina moves forward, leaning towards my ear. "We can get the police on you again." She whispers.

I freeze. It's noticeable too, that my demeanour has changed. Alina smirks happily, and then looks at Rocky, all traces of sneakiness evaporated.

"Alina." Someone says again, but it's not Rocky this time.