|4 | PROFESIONAL DEMEANOR

As I entered the classroom, my eyes automatically scanned the room, taking in the familiar yet distant faces of the students

As I entered the classroom, my eyes automatically scanned the room, taking in the familiar yet distant faces of the students. My gaze lingered on Shreya, who was seated among her friends. Our eyes met, and for a brief moment, her expression mirrored my own-a mix of recognition and guarded emotion.

"Is it really her class?" I wondered, feigning ignorance. Quickly, I averted my eyes, reminding myself of the importance of maintaining a professional distance. Yet, a part of me couldn't help but feel a pang of nostalgia and a deep-seated curiosity about how she had been faring all these years.

Throughout the lecture, I noticed Shreya diligently taking notes, seemingly unperturbed by my presence. I forced myself to focus on the task at hand, mimicking her composed demeanor. We exchanged only the necessary interactions, keeping our emotions in check despite the palpable tension that hung in the air.

Maintaining a professional facade, I navigated through the class with deliberate detachment. As the session drew to a close, I made a hasty exit, mentally reinforcing the need to keep my distance for both our sakes, even though my heart whispered otherwise, fueling an internal conflict.

Once the class ended, the students dispersed, chatting animatedly among themselves. Shreya didn't spare me a second glance as she walked towards the cafeteria with her friends. A wave of sadness washed over me, even though I knew I had no right to feel this way. It was a consequence of my own actions, yet the emotions surfaced uncontrollably.

I straightaway headed home It was soon night time, and the sky was a canvas of inky black, studded with a myriad of shimmering stars. The moon cast a silvery glow over the university grounds, painting the world in soft, ethereal hues.

The gentle rustling of leaves in the evening breeze and the distant hum of city life created a serene backdrop, offering a brief respite from the day's whirlwind of emotions.

I was lost in my thoughts when my phone buzzed. It was a message from my dad, reminding me about the upcoming university function where he and Shreya's dad would be the chief guests. The reminder of their presence added another layer of complexity to my already tangled emotions.

Despite the exhaustion from the day, sleep eluded me. My mind kept drifting back to Shreya--kitna harami hoon na Mai fir vhin chala gya*straight face*-- the unresolved feelings that still lingered between us were annoying me to the core. I tossed and turned, trying to find a comfortable position, but the thoughts refused to quiet down.

It felt like an endless loop of regret, longing, and frustration.Just as I began to drift off, my phone buzzed again, jolting me awake. Groaning, I reached for it, only to see a call from Aarav and Vedant, mere do paltu kutte.